Set of open-tops for custom poker set

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I'm designing a custom poker set from component level up, based on the 1870's era poker accessories.

The cards, dice, chips, and case are all being designed here at the studio. Each chip, and die, hand engraved.

The things added are this nearly matched set of Colt 22 Open-Tops, and an antique silver flask.

Here is the Colt set I put together for the set. Serials 25200 and 26027. Metal prep will begin soon on them, but they are a joy to see just as they sit from 1874. Manufactured 800, or so, guns apart, they still are exceptional.

More updates to come as the set develops.
scottd.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
If they could speak, I bet they could tell some interesting stories. You never know where they may have been. A gambler's vest pocket perhaps? Or, perhaps nestled snugly against some lady of the evening's thigh tucked behind a frilly lace garter? :thinking: :rolleyes: :eek:

monk

Staff member
a very interesting project to undertake. i'm looking foreward to seeing the end results. what are the poker chips made of ?

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
The chips are still in the design phase as to substrate. We've tossed around cast metals, clays, and other castable materials that are still engravable prior to final cure. We'll see. I've cast metals prior for other projects, so it's not a stretch, however, I'm pushing for a new substrate that pushes the bounds of historical chip manufacture.

It's a wonderful project because, like Doc, I love this period of history. The intrigue and mystery, coupled with the wild aspect of a nearly lawless environment in most of the "real" West. Many, many people were "legally" killed around a table filled with these type accessories, from 1865 to 1900, then almost any other cause during that period. Save for disease.

What fun! :)
scottd.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
If they could speak...

If they could speak, indeed! I wish this set were going into my collection. I found - after much search - two really close in number and excellent in condition. I'm going to try to match another pair for my collection. They really look cool together - aside from the intrigue!

monk

Staff member
what about engraving copper or brass disks of appropriate size ? after engraving, do a bit of electroplating. just a thought. riogrande sells a product called "pmc". it's powdered metal clay in many different alloys. it can be worked like clay, and is then cooked in a kiln to fuse the matal particles.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
That is a very good option, and I've used PMC powders and premix before. Both work very well, depending on the result you are working to acheive. They are a possibility for the base chip substrate.

Silver discs are easy to work, engrave, and add an elegant Spanish look and feel to the project, if designed correctly. Copper, as well, would add a Japanese influence if worked to simulate the Tansu metal work of the Edo and Meiji periods.

I'm leaning towards the American gold and silver coinage of the day, as base design in some form or format, then enhanced by the custom engraving of the set's branding and denomination, per chip.

Naturally, the chips will match all of the other accessories too, so it's a coordinated overall branding design with a look and feel of that Wild West era.

The playing cards will be newly designed versions of Samuel Hart cards with branded Ace of Spades, a Bowen, and Jokers. The cards will be relief printed from engraved brass sheets to coincide with production methods of the era.

Thank you, Monk, for the input and suggestion. PMC is an excellent and enjoyable product to use.

monk

Staff member
if you could, i know all would enjoy "progress" fotos of this great project. i don't recall any project posted on the forum that has the potential of this one. cant wait to see !

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
No problem. I'll post updates on the progress of the designs and each component, showing how their branding and manufacture blends into the whole project, and showing the engraving and how each component is designed, engraved, branded, and produced.

More coming...
scottd.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Beathard and Doc, Thanks for those links and info on the chips. They are excellent. There is so much information available about these individual chips and sets, and I love to scour these sites and learn more. Thanks again!

This chip above, the "Eagle Chip" is very similar to the Samuel Hart and Co. playing card branded design, and may possibly even have been made by that same company. Their playing card design is the style I'm using to design my own set of playing cards for my poker set, and chips.

Thanks to you all for your input, links, and interest. I appreciate it and I'll keep you updated as it moves on.
scottd.

Latest posts

Sponsors