Question: Serial numbers and gold inlay

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
What are the rules when firearm engraving in regards to the serial numbers. The ATF says it is a no no to modify serial numbers, so how does gold inlaying fall into that, it is a modification. Any clarification is appreciated.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
depending on who you ask, "modify" can be subject to different interpretations. it has been many years (1980s) since i've discussed this with anybody in the trade or ATF, but in a kinder, gentler era "modify" specifically referred to changing the actual code of the serial number. in other words, as long as the numerals & letters were the same and in the same order and faithfully maintained their original intent for tracing purposes they weren't considered "modified", even if inlaid, re-cut after grinding & polishing, etc., and there was clearly no intent to mislead or defraud. HOWEVER, iirc, this was never an official edict or ruling of BATF, just a friendly advisory from agents who had bigger fish to fry than custom gunmakers & engravers whose overall production is a drop in the bucket, and whose potential criminal activity is a microscopic percentage of that. many in the trade were left with the impression that one could, in theory, still be found in violation for even minor cosmetic improvements/alterations, but as far as i know, nobody ever has been hassled for it. perhaps it's something they might tack on if one got in trouble for more serious infractions, but unlikely if everything is kosher otherwise.

anybody have any newer info on this?

Douglas

I deal with multiple federal agencies there all the same, Mitch pointed to one main take away when dealing with any agency “ Subject to Interpretation”, the rule depend on the inspector and his interpretation could be your biggest risk.