Question: Sensor problems with my good old Nikon Coolpix 5700

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I haven’t recently shown some of my work, that because my good old Nikon Coolpix 5700 has probably sensor problems.
At first, most of the photos had too much red in it, and it went worse, now all photos are over lightened.
The camera is over 10 years old now and it wasn’t a cheap one at the time I bought it.
So I figured out some option, replace it or have it repaired. Thing is that I also have a Nikon D70 with several lenses, but none of the setups even comes close to what the Coolpix 5700 is able register on jewelry and engravings.
My son, also a professional photograph, using several Canon cameras and lenses, can’t give me a good advice for a new camera that is not too expensive
I know Sam also used the Coolpix 5700, so I’m curious if he too ever had some problems with this cam?
I also would like to know what would be a good alternative in case they can’t fix the Coolpix 5700 within a reasonable price .

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Willem and Paolo, I know your photos Paolo, I supose they where made by the Canon Powershot G12?
Willem, yes I already did search for a second hand Coolpix, and yes one can find one for a reasonable price. I still consider that. All just depends on if I can find another camera that is able to do better than the Coolpix or not.

So still curious what other have to say.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paolo, Ive been looking true your posts to take a look at your photos, sure they look clear, sharp, nice Histogram... but most of them are nickels so that means you do not need much dept of field.
I saw one silver ring you did and made a photo, and it shows something about 10mm dept of field that is sharp. Could be the focus choice you made, but I'm curious to see one of your rings engraved. Couldn't find one on your website.

arnaud

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I've a coolpix 6200 which was cheap & takes super photos..but the macro is rubbish, so avoid that for close-ups :)

mrthe

Arnaud if you want i can make some photos and post it if can help ;)

mrthe

Arnaud heare a quick example ,this is the setup,i know the light and alll...is not the best ,but is only to give you a reference of the distance where was taked the photo:

And this is the photo that i had take in this instant:

with a little more better light (two focus)

and something texturized,like i know that you work a lot with textures ;)

right click and open the photo in a new tab to see it bigger,hope this help

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,
I bought a Coolpix L100 a couple of years ago and always had problems with it. The macro was always fuzzy and all the pictures had color shifts. I quit using it and it's just been sitting on the shelf ever since.

I found that heat is a killer for electronics because many of them have very narrow operating ranges. My shop has heat and AC, but I only use them when needed and I'm not in the shop every day. Our summer temperatures run in the high 90's and the shop temperature often exceeds that. I've lost 3 motherboards and 3 cameras to the heat. Some weren't even turned on most of the time. Any plastic parts inside will warp and lose specifications due to either heat or cold and throw everything out of whack. One camera died because I forgot and left it inside a hot vehicle for an afternoon. My wife did the same thing with a cell phone and it exploded.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paolo, thank you so much taking the time for this. When you showed you Canon something popped in my son Jasper's head. He is a professional photographer and had a Canon Powershot SX120 that he didn't use. So after he gave it a try, I gave it a try using my Photo Setup in my shop, it is similar as your, using a softbox and some white papers Like Sam Alfano describes in his Fega Tutorial.
This Canon Powershot SX120 sure does better than my Coolpix 5700 and only costs 119 euro.

All photos I took freehand; no need for a tripod.

Here is one you can see at full size when clicking on it.
Sure your Canon PowerShot G12 can do even better, but I'm very pleased with the result of the Canon Powershot SX120 I now bought from Jasper. The cam is a bit too slow for action photos, so it is fine for jewelery and engraving, as far as they don't run around. :)

arnaud

mrthe

Look good Arnaud! You know if work good for you is good! is a nice compact camera too ;)
Unluckly i'm not an expert photographer and i have to play more with jewellery photos i will post more experiment in the future ;)
For hobos i use it with the raynox 250 lens with my homemade coin photostudio and i'm very happy with it hehe

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Paolo, like you say, if it works for you. but the thing I have to thank you for, is using this cheap Canon camera. It is because you mentioned yours that we came to the idea to give it a try.
My son Jasper has a expensive Macro lens for his Canon reflex cams, but that doesn't come close to what this small cam is able to do.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, the price you mentioned, is that the regular price for a new one or was it a special " family price".
I ask this because I might consider one like this.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sorry I'm late getting to this thread. I've been teaching and traveling.

I think my old Nikon is a Coolpix 5400, and I did a surgical procedure on it and converted it to a dedicated infrared camera!

The G12 is an excellent and inexpensive camera with a great sensor, but your photos with the SX120 appear to be just as good, Arnaud. In fact that ring photo is absolutely excellent. And your lighting is good of course. :thumbsup:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bill: thanks :)
The pic above is infrared. The pic of the workbench is a normal photo with a bit of Photoshop processing to give it a gritty look, and was shot with a Canon G1X.

Latest posts

Sponsors