Question: sealing scrimshaw work

RJW

I have had an issue with using liquid and paste wax on finished powder horns. It seems the wax tends to lift the india ink out. I have found that bees wax works fine for me. Pre-waxing before scrum with the liquid or paste wax of course would not be an issue.

I would like to know if anyone has experienced the same issue or has any suggestions to overcome this issue.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i did a btt of stuff, mostly horns. such was for those involved in front stuffing guns. i incorporated suitable pigment into liquid wax. when the wax soliidified i'd simply rub it into the engraved areas. i;d prep the horn to a reasonable polish, engrave, then add the wax. after that i would reduce the sheen with a bit of very fine steel wool. i never used a finish over the projects. the pigments were of a very fine powdery consistency. btw: welcome to the forum. don't be shy, share a few pics of your work.

Reactions: RJW

RJW

Interesting approach Monk. Never considered that! Thanks for the suggestion.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Interesting approach Monk. Never considered that! Thanks for the suggestion.
i never grew into the powder horn thingy. never did much except embellish them. a friend did jillions of these. it was thru him i got the pigment/wax thingy.

Reactions: RJW

Latest posts

Sponsors