Scultping punches for scrollwork

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here are the punches I use for modeling scrollwork. They are simply discarded Busch burs with a nearly flat face. If the face is too rounded, the punch isn't nearly as effective in pushing the metal where you want it. When you first look at the punch you'd probably think it's flat, but it's not. It has a very slight radius. I really like the hollow grind of the Bush burr shanks as they make it very easy to see the face of the punch when working. I'm sure there are many other types of steel that will work just as well, but for me, these feel and perform perfectly.

Per Phil Grifnee, I texture my punches to produce a darker finish than a brightly polished punch. I also think the textured punch is more efficient in moving metal.

After relieving the background, the scrollwork above was shaped and modeled with the punches below. The majority of it was done with the largest punch, and the smaller ones used to shape tighter areas. To achieve the hammered look, I use stroke speeds of around 500 strokes per minute. I rather like the tooled finish produced by these tools.

For hobo nickels I use the same punches, but also do a lot of carving with slightly rounded gravers.

~Sam

Attachments

• punches_1.jpg
    punches_1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 277
  • punches_2.jpg
    punches_2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 296

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love this place. There's always something to learn here; such a gold mine of information. Thanks for the place to swap all these ideas and techniques Sam!

What are you texturing the faces of the punches with?

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
Great stuff ! I had no clue you used tools like that. Some of our methods are closer than I had thought. I use punches to shape steel in die engraving. I think you would enjoy my collection of punches, like a kid in a candy store. I am learning a trick or two by going through the threads here I tell you. Thank you ! Steve

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, you are correct re. textured faces. I too found that the punch didn't slip & pushed more metal, mine are textued with 220 grit paper. Many thanks, Ken

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Way Bloody Cool Sam!!!!!!!

The only problem is that now I have this hankering to do another nickel.;)

Thanks for the tip.

Ray

PS. WHere are you getting these burs? These look to be 3/32" or 1/8" shanks?

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Back to my old repetetive query, what is the size of the sculpted scrollwork plate in the photo? Also, do you do any cutting or grinding of the sculptured subject, or is it all done by "pushing" the metal around with the punches?

Mark

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now this forums starting to really bloom. There are many talented artists on this forum but I have to say it needs a touch of Alfano's art once in a while. I am using Sam's last name only out of respect.
Great thread.
Mike

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam
I done this type of work on larger things at least once a week and know how exactly
to get the tools made to achieve the effect.
Sometime though you just can't see, what's right in front of you.

Thanks for the Idea.

Jim

Sam

Staff member
Sam,

Back to my old repetetive query, what is the size of the sculpted scrollwork plate in the photo? Also, do you do any cutting or grinding of the sculptured subject, or is it all done by "pushing" the metal around with the punches?

Mark

Doc: That plate is about 2" wide. I'd say 95% of the sculpting is done by pushing the metal. There's a small amount of removal in some areas with gravers, but it's very little. If I have one stem overlapping another, I might remove some of the metal on the lower one. The more metal you can leave, the more you have to work with.

Maybe Alain Lovenberg can comment on his technique.

I should add that when I'm doing this type of work, I coordinate the speed at which I pull the punch across the steel with the stroke speed of my GraverMach. If I pull too slowly and/or run the machine too fast, the results are not as good. Once I hit the sweetspot, I can achieve a classic look as if it was done by hammer & punch.

Here's a platinum ring with sculpted arabesque from my Photoshop tutorial on iGraver.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, this particular piece reminds me of the finest Philedephia furniture carving in the 18th cent.
Just took my breath away! Absolutely stunning!
thanks for sharing these techniques,
Kent

Steece

Sam,

Do you know of any good books of furniture carving??? I have looked at Dover Publishing and have a few books but have not been able to locate one that has a lot of the style carving you have been sculpting.

Thanks,

Steece

Sam

Staff member
Kent, Steece: You're right, it's quite similar to acanthus leaf furning carving. Nothing new, really. I don't have any books on the subject, but whenever I travel and see good examples on wood or stone I photograph them. Unfortunately there are more mediocre examples of furniture carving than good ones. At least that's been my experience. It's always exciting to happen upon the really good stuff. / ~Sam

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Steece,
You might like a book called "Manual of Traditional Wood Carving" edited by Paul N. Hasluck and published by Dover books. 1,146 drawings and photos. ISBN #0-486-23489-4.
Just an idea, John B.

Steece

Kent and John,

Thanks for your interests and replies. I have the Manual of Traditional Wood Carving and it is a good book.

I do not have Florid Victorian Ornament. I looked it up on Amazon and it looks very good for only $12.00.

As I am sure all of you know you can never have too much source material.

Steece

Latest posts

Sponsors