Scrolls and Glass Signs

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's my illustrator buddy Dave Smith :) One of the finest artists alive today.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
tbear,

That was an incredible experience, watching Sam's buddy, Dave Smith, working on the album cover, and framed pieces, a moment where superb craftsmanship is transcended and becomes art. A thousand thanks! I loved every moment of this short film.

Sam, can you tell us some more but your buddy?

Rod

Sam

Staff member
Rod: Dave is also an iStockPhoto illustrator, and I saw one of his designs on a Sketchers shoe box in a store. I dropped him an email and introduced myself and sent him a photo of the shoebox. He had seen my illustrations on iStock (we both draw scrollwork designs) and had been to my engraving site, so we both kind of knew each other although we'd not actually communicated yet. So I got a salesman at the shoe store to give me an empty box with Dave's designs which I sent to him. We've not met yet, but we've developed a professional relationship and mutual respect the past few years and he's sent me quite a few photos of his magnificent glass work.

Dave is an extraordinary artist and craftsman. He's one of the few who can design in the brilliant style of the old letterhead and billhead designers. I told him once that I was glad he's not an engraver or he'd put the rest of us out of business!

Steveareno

Sam
I’m an istockphoto member and use it to do jewelry spots and ads. I didn’t think about using the illustration section but I can really see it as an important art medium now. Do you have any of your work on the site? I really enjoy your engraving and art work and can see the potential and impact it would have.

Thanks Steve

Sam

Staff member
Sam
I’m an istockphoto member and use it to do jewelry spots and ads. I didn’t think about using the illustration section but I can really see it as an important art medium now. Do you have any of your work on the site? I really enjoy your engraving and art work and can see the potential and impact it would have.

Thanks Steve

Steve: My portfolio of 1,700+ scroll designs is here on iStockphoto.

Steveareno

Sam
I know I got off topic from the glass art with the istockphoto, But SAM you are amazing!! Your work is just beyond my expectations and 100,000 yes Thousand downloads. Everyone should check it out. Thank you so much, you are the man.

Steve

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
This guy has MAD SKILLS!!!!! I was unable to pull away from the video and watched it three times through!! Again MAD SKILLS!!!

Donny

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Tbear, thank you for posting this link and introduction to a very fine art. Fascinating!

Hora

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, what am I doing wrong? When I go to the site linked above, all I can see are the still pictures. No video link. You don't have to sign up to Vimeo to see it, do you?

Edit: never mind, I finally got it to work. It truly is fabulaous to watch. I woild love to know how much time was spent on the whole project and how much he was paid!

Last edited: