Scroll for the Dot background question

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi all, this is the scroll I asked for help doing the dot background on. This is my shot at doing Nimschkie style scroll (Critique more than welcome ;), and I know the flowers don't fit). I'm still struggling with the proper sized dots. I tried Silverchips advise on a practice piece, and that helps a lot, but in this size, (3/4 in wide silver) if I use dots that look to be the same proportion as the dots in photos of old guns, they turn out to be so small you can't really see them with the naked eye. If I go with dots you can see, they seem too big.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Not ready for prime time Todd.

Attachments

• june 2013 009.jpg
    june 2013 009.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 279

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks nice, I like the design. About the background, just practice on something else until it pleases you. Try a nr 1 beading tool, must be the smallest, otherwise you will have to make one yourself.
And of course, the smaller the dots, the more tiny little places you can fill.
The beading tool I used on this ring is a nr1 beading tool if I remember well. and sure it is small and difficult to see with the naked eye

arnaud

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I find that by doing the outlines of the scrolls first and then filling in the rest of the negative space makes for a cleaner job.And when using the square graver for the setup,lay the lines very close to each other.

thughes

Thanks Dave. I've been trying different sizes etc on this same scroll cut on scrap. But I just can't get it to suit me. It's harder than it looks to get it right, for me any way.

Todd

Andrew Biggs

Hi Todd

Very nice bracelet. You've come a long way. :)

You may want to look at the end scroll and place a leaf or two to fill in that large blank area at the bottom of the scroll. It will really stand out when you do the background.

I always relieve the background for beading the background. Use the appropriate size bead for the work. For this I would use a size #0 or #1 beading tool as Arnaud has said. It is also useful to do the background before the shading because that way if any ridges pop up then they can easily be lightly sanded.

Cheers
Andrew

thughes

Hi Andrew, thanks for looking. Yeah, I know that space s kind of funny looking. I had something in there originally but I just didn't't like it when it got right down to it. Trying to get the look of Nimschkes background is kinda different. Not like anyone is gonna mistake me for nimschke, but it was fun to try to do it. I'll try the #1 and see what that looks,like. Thanks again.

Todd

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would suggest that the pedal at 3 o'clock looks so much plainer than the others. I find it just a tad out of place. Also you might think about using the design of your oval at the end to mirror the overall end shape whit a border that has the thin/thick/thin theme. An impressive design. Fred

mrthe

If you are not very happy with your dot backround practice result maybe you can try other types of background before, a very interesting example is showed today in the GRS featured photos section with a extremly nice Andrew Biggs 's work

Birddog97

When I cut my scrolls, I bring the "Thumb Cut" all the way to the terminal end of the scroll. A few of those look like they are a little short. Then, when I cut my shade lines, I cut them to the inside of the "Thumb cut" and terminate at the center point of the scroll.