Critique Request scroll direction sketch

Andrew Biggs

Do you just look at the flask and think 'fill this up with scroll stuff'? what is it you want others to see in this design you have started? You have nothing to say about anything? Not even for the flask? Not 'I am majestic' or 'I am your friend', nothing to say at all, empty shiny lines?

Generally that all comes about when you have finished drinking the content inside the flask which can also evoke strong emotions from tears to violence. :)

The outside decoration is a matter of good design and style that enhances the canvas combined with a budget of some sort.

Cheers
Andrew

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Opinions must be accompanied with proof of qualification? I have just begun engraving and have only just started design work in that direction, it's not great but I will show you if you like. I recently posted a label on the Lindsay forum, it is meant to be playful and fun, from the response it looks like I may have missed the mark.

I have old pictures of past work in stained glass before the Chinese turned it into stained trash, I don't drag them out much as they are 35mm photos. I did come across some old preliminary drawings I made over 20 years ago from that time. I knew nothing about acanthus scrolls and the customer wanted those swirly things with leaves, you know? I'll scan some in if you're interested, these are fairly large from an engravers point of view and somehow I doubt you're into stained glass. Most of the finish drawings were several feet across a bit hard to scan and most are in used condition. I'm not saying I'm the authority on design, I just don't understand how you come to a design without purpose or direction.

Bob

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bob, I have never engraved something with a purpose or direction. With this type of work you generally start at a point and it grows from imagination and experience. Because I do not know what you mean by purpose and direction could you please give me examples of what you mean.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
If this is a witch hunt let me begin by confessing. No need to light the fire or prepare the testing, shoot me now.

Bob

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
If you have read the thread you will see I have offered examples of what I mean. If you do not know what a witch hunt is you are a simpler and sweeter soul than I. However; I think you know exactly what I mean.

Bob

Andrew Biggs

Okay.........moderators hat on for this one.

We have a really good thread here where Silverchip is showing us something pretty darned unique with this flask and I for one want to see how it turns out. And yes, we all know it will be amazing!!! :)

So lets just keep on topic about the whole deal and let Silverchip carry on with his thread as he intended it.........and drop all the other stuff.

Cheers
Andrew

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
This is a vector image I just designed. An acanthus shredded and blown. It represents me foolishly attempting to resist the inevitable and overpowering forces, daring to speak my mind in public. It is how I feel, it is my example.

Bob

Andrew Biggs

Hi Red Green

I have asked politely to leave it alone. You have made your point.............. several times.

So lets just leave it there and let the thread continue about Silverchips flask.

Cheers
Andrew

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Dave,

I like the evolution of your design. The right side of the first had some obvious design problems that others pointed out. I figure you'll continue the evolution to the the final cut and I can't wait to see the results.

When we talk about "flow" I take that to mean the basic design lines that the artist uses to bring attention to the parts of the object they choose while allowing others areas to stay pleasingly out of focus.

When it's all said and done your a master at pleasing the viewers eye.

Thanks a bushel for sharing your process.

John Anderson
Havre, Montana