Critique Request scroll direction sketch

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am thinking about using an open scroll design on the front and back panels for the flask. The top part might get bright cut with lettering all the way around above the top pattern wire accent.do you have any issues with the scroll layout?

flat scetch for scrolls on flask.jpg

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am thinking about using an open scroll design on the front and back panels for the flask. The top part might get bright cut with lettering all the way around above the top pattern wire accent.do you have any issues with the scroll layout?

View attachment 22703

I am curious about what you are going to do with the open space in the lower right hand corner of your design?

Ron S.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why don't you do a mirror image of the left side? I think it will work better that way and look more balanced, harmonious, etc. It would make more sense visually.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think the large, bottom most scroll on the left is going in the wrong direction. as mentioned above-- i'd sooner see a symetrical design.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys for your input,I am not a big fan of formal symmetrical designs but I can understand why you might think it would work here as the space is even on both sides.
Hey Ron, good to hear from you, I admire your work and efforts and still think of you when I am(trying to)draw nice lines but I shake like a dog after a peach tree raid!!!! sketch3flask.jpg
So I get the feeling a more conventional scroll design is more desirable in this instance,so I started another sketch with a starting point in the upper left corner and went counterclockwise using intertwining scrolls.

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I don't understand, do you not know what you want to show, is there some progression, some rhythm or flow of elements I'm unaware of? Is this the 'normal' way scroll designs are developed by most American engravers? To me it seems much like filling a book with properly spelled words but strung together are meaningless, it may often look fine but why do it? Is filling the space with things that look ok all that matters? Is this what the Europeans mean by some of their negative comments about American scroll design?

Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, it seems over time, scroll design has sort of evolved to the point that there are "rules" to be followed when designing a project. i don't always follow the rules. i think, rules notwithstanding, if you like it- if the client likes it-- just do it. i do a lot of work that many here would certainly call and turn me into the "scroll police". one reason for this, in my case, i always try to let a client have some input to the design process. even if the rules are broken, the client feels as though it's a design of their own creation. i don't know it this is right or wrong-- it's simply how i do things.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,

I thought I had posted something last night, but it appears not.

With name plate front and center, my own instinct would be for some sort of symmetry, say, of your backbone lines, however, it need not be an exact mirror image. I admire some of the designs of the heavy hitters, say, our generous colleague, Phil Coggan, quite a few of his excellent examples look symmetrical at first blush until you look more carefully and see variations in leaf elements, etc., yet the overall feel is symmetry. Just a thought?

Ron, so pleased to see you posting, and I will assume that an email will reach you, so I dropped you and Liz a line!

best wishes!

Rod

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not talking about rules, I'm speaking of the reason for the embellishment. It appears there is no reason only embellishment, without meaning or purpose. A design that has no art just mindless visual chatter. I know of no art form with human control that accepts this as design. Filling space is what house painters and children who have nothing to say for a writing assignment do. In two hundred and fifty words you can bore people to death or start the next world war, the same should be true with engraving. People are either moved by the work or not, sparkle and shine does not last that long they are like fast and fancy talk, when examined they should bring understanding not confusion, simply what is it you are trying to convey, nothing?

Bob

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Do you just look at the flask and think 'fill this up with scroll stuff'? what is it you want others to see in this design you have started? You have nothing to say about anything? Not even for the flask? Not 'I am majestic' or 'I am your friend', nothing to say at all, empty shiny lines?

Bob

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The problems that I have with designing open scroll work comes from decades of production bright cutting. There is no plan, you just draw and go at it.I may be able to draw a pattern and make it look like something but I am not to old that I don't want to learn more about engraving from some of the people that have shown me new ideas and that I have admiration for their work. Recently I purchased Lee's book and dvd's. I am trying to take what I have learned from those and apply it to my work in order to develop a different look. If there is any thing to be learned from this, it'll all be taken to heart that I know there is way better talent out there and I am trying to have fun learning more about it!!!!

Dave

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Well, you asked. And I think you should start with a direction not randomly. You may be able to open yourself up and create, but your question indicates that is not the case. Thinking of where you want to end up is a good way to end up there, you may not be lost but why are you here? I say start with reason and purpose and the parts will fall in place.

Bob