Scrim Shaw section for the Photo Gallery

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all,
I was looking the Photo Gallery and was thinking that Scrim Shaw should have it's own section.
At least I would like to see one.

Jim

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Katherine:

I managed to get to Don Cowles booth in time to see your Zebra knife - not sure if it's still there or not but it is beautiful in real life.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Katherine

The day before I left I downloaded the updated show guide. I printed out the map and the exhibitor list, then went through with a highlighter marking the tables / booths to hit during the two hour 'VIP' time.

A few of the tables I marked were just due to knowing that people here had done work for that maker. I don't think Brian's little lovely even made it to Warren Osborne's table but he's one of my favorite designers so I was going to his table anyway.

Mr. Cowle's table has several knives out where you can examine them closely. Your work is in a glass case, highlight of the display. If it's still there today when I go in I'll grab a picture. He has some closeup pictures for people. The scrim work, at normal viewing distance, doesn't really look like anyone did anything - it looks like it's just part of the handle - something that somehow magically occurred.

I'd like to be able to examine it closely but I didn't bring my scope with me. ;)

Lori Ristinen

I agree with Katherine - a scrimshaw section would be great! I should probably post more often myself.

Katherine: I had the privelige to see the zebras you scrimmed for Don Cowles in person at the Blade Show last weekend. Seeing it in person beats the images you posted on this forum. You did a really good job.

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes, i too, second that emotion.that work is special, and i feel it deserves a shelf all its own.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I'm glad to see the new section for the fine Old Noble art of Scrim Shaw. It seems so right that it should
be honoured in the engraving community since it has had a long history of a partnership in gun-smithing.

With new material that rival and surpass the tradition ivory, it has a bright future. A tradition art that is meant to be caressed by a human hand.:thumbs up:

Talk to later,
Jim