scratch paper

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Shawn,I really like the fact that you draw your design on paper before engraving,it makes things alot easier.Keep up the good work:thumbsup: J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you keep this up you're going to have to publish yet another book on drawing

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
do you want some critique or input? The designs are quite good but there are some elements that don't work that I could guide you on. But we're not supposed to say anything unless you have specifically asked for critique.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Be careful Marcus. Shawn ripped me a new "one" for commenting then he removed it a short time later. I guess he had second thoughts. His skin must have been a little thin that morning.

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
leonard
all that vile was directed toward you.....i dont have any problems with anyone else.
just you.
i have not changed my mind about anything that was said.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I that case Shawn just keep on the same pace. It all looks fine. There is nothing you need to do to improve on your products. They all look great.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No Shawn YOU ARE the best. I can't be the best. It's too much pressure.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay Shawn, the first scroll - I'm not sure the start of it works. There seems to be the start of a ribbon/scroll but it doesn't go anywhere nor does it run through the design in any way so it's a bit pointless and a detraction from the rest of the design. It also confuses the start of the leaf. Just before the head of the scroll there's another confusion as if you are trying to do something 3D but it doesn't work really. Finally, I'd have left out the element spurring off to the left just before the head as it doesn't really work or add to your overall design which, apart from what I've pointed out, is quite good.

The second design is very nice apart from the start again. I'm not sure why you are fixing on this? If you really want to include this (personally I wouldn't) somehow it needs to continue throughout the design. It doesn't need to be a great long banner but there do need to be some inclusions through the scroll otherwise you just have a start with something totally out of keeping with the rest of the design. It's a bit like sticking a wardrobe door handle on your car door but if your car was once owned by The Munster's that handle would fit in quite nicely. Do you see what I'm getting at?

The third design is very nice indeed but in my opinion needs to flow in from the circular edge a bit more to avoid the abrupt join.

The fourth design is also very nice, more like the first one should've been. The leaves flowing off the head might make the design a bit heavy and busy in that area but if it flowed into another scroll instead of stopping I think it could work very well.

The daffodil design is also very nice apart from that one element coming through the left scroll. It comes off the smaller scroll at too straight an angle and is too big. Leave this leaf out and replace it with inside work like the scroll on the right. Keep the smaller scroll weaving through as it is and I think you'll have a very nice design.

Well done and thanks for sharing. Please bear in mind that although a critique and advice are for you Shawn, hopefully others will also glean something and learn from it too.

Once again, anyone wanting a critique please go to the prefix box and request critique. If you don't do this at least make it known that you don't mind hearing what people think within your posting. I hate having to ask if I can give a constructive criticism to someone.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus-

you do a nice job helping people using only verbal descriptions. i often hold off on making suggestions because this is such a visually-oriented artform and i don't have the computer skills to draw on photos, etc. (and i didn't know The Munsters were ever on British TV...)

Latest posts

Sponsors