scopes

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I think a scope is needed only when you can`t get on with optivisors anymore...
Ok, so you can see x20+ ect, but at the end of the day all work is viewed by eye and so if you can use a #10 optivisor, that should give plenty enough detail that the average eyesite can deal with.

Thats my opinion at the moment as an almost scope buyer.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had one of these for about 5 years. The only thing I could disern was, at full power it wasn't as clear as the Meji. but it worked very well for me.
I'm considering buying another one just for a spare or students.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I would inquire as to where this scope is manufactured. I'm fairly certain the answer will be that it's made in China.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These scopes are nearly all made in china. They are imported here by the thousands and everybody puts their name on them and sells them. However they are still very good for the money and they do stand behind them. IF a person intended to be a professional engraver I would recomend getting the Meji to begin with because you will want the best later on anyway. Higher taxes and high inflation are comming. Best buy now if a person is so inclined.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
I just purchased a Meiji scope in Feb.; I bought it because too many people have purchased cheaper scopes only to find out later on that they made a big blunder and had to replace them... The instruction papers that come with the Meiji says, MEIJI TECHNO CO.;LTD.JAPAN Hope that helps.....

Sam

Staff member
I would try to find a used Meiji before I would buy a Chinese knock-off. Don't forget that there's an excellent resource in the Tips Archive about purchasing microscopes.

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
From AmScope's web site:

"Please do not be confused by the low prices on AmScope.com!
AmScope products are manufactured under strict ISO 9001 quality
control standards, and are made by the largest optical component and
instrument fabricators in the world. The AmScope series is made by the
same technicians, and on the same production lines, that make optical
instruments for Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, Olympus and many other brands."

They may be made in China but they seem to be in good company and have a very large and impressive customer base!

Kevin

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would try to find a used Meiji before I would buy a Chinese knock-off. Don't forget that there's an excellent resource in the Tips Archive about purchasing microscopes.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
All the waters arent fit to drink, some not good for you....But, we are govern by our purses, so we have to make choices in that regard.. The Meiji with stand is about the take home pay a month for some of the guys, but, it can be passed down to your family and it holds its resale value. This is my first scope, and Iam just a hobby engraver and dont make my living by engraving or we would starve!! The fellows that are in business and need to eat on a regular basis, use the Meiji .. Tools are a investment, you get what you pay for too, thats a hard lession in itself !!!! I should state Iam very bias about anything from China, regardless of the price and quality and the Meiji is the only microscope I have ever used, so please take my words into consideration,as up to, now, only used optivisors......

Attachments

• The Engraver.jpg
    The Engraver.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
I know what you mean about China made products. In my line of work I can find china knock offs at 20% of the price of ones I make and people keep coming to buy mine. I have a lot to consider before I make a purchase and I thank all of you for the input. It has been a great help.
Rod

Sam

Staff member
From AmScope's web site:

"Please do not be confused by the low prices on AmScope.com!
AmScope products are manufactured under strict ISO 9001 quality
control standards, and are made by the largest optical component and
instrument fabricators in the world. The AmScope series is made by the
same technicians, and on the same production lines, that make optical
instruments for Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, Olympus and many other brands."

They may be made in China but they seem to be in good company and have a very large and impressive customer base!

Kevin

Pardon my skepticism, but I seriously doubt that Zeiss, Nikon, and Leica microscopes are made "on the same production lines" as the Chinese knock-offs.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Rod

If you are a hobbyist that does very little engraving and just dabbles a bit here and there for fun.............then the cheaper ones are not a bad way to go.

If you do a lot of engraving, either for fun or profit (or both) then your eyes will thank you for going with the Meiji. They have crystal clear optics, no adjusting when you zoom and allows in more light to view the engraving.

I started with a Watson Chinese cheaper microscope and it worked perfectley fine because I knew no better......when I saw the clarity etc etc of the Meiji there was a world of difference between the two. It allows you to see the work a lot better.

So I ended up buying the Meiji and it is a very good microscope..........so at the end of the day it was a false economy buying the cheaper one first.

We live and we learn. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

jldj

I bought a cheap Chinese scope and boom stand 6 or 7 yrs. back off ebay for 149.00. I put on .5 barlow on it and a ring light for another 100.00 I guess - sold the boom stand for 90.00 and bought an articulating arm from Milesco Scientific for 240.00. I was using it at work to deal with the endless melee I never can see. When I finally decided that I was going to learn to engrave and really dedicate myself to it - I brought the scope home. Then a Meiji EMZ came up on ebay at a giveaway price (sometimes items of value slip thru the cracks) I bought it for 125.00. I sold the focus mount, measuring stand, and custom made light stand that came with it for 50.00 - I know they were worth more but I didn't need them and I didn't know what the measuring stand was - ( turns out some research let me know their worth boo-koos of bucks). Anyway I bought another articulating arm just today for 150.00. I'll take the Chinese scope back to work now and use the Meiji at home. Like everyone has said - there's no comparison between the two - the Chinese scope is good enough but the Meiji is first class.

Latest posts

Sponsors