Scope Vs Visor Vs Naked Eye

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've noticed that as my technical ability has improved, I moved more and more towards the microscope for the majority of my work. Now that I've reached the level that I'm doing microscopic shading and such, I find myself slowly backing away again from the scope in order to gain a realistic perspective on the piece I'm cutting.
I can't cut with the naked eye anymore. (Too many years looking through an optivisor) I do however back away and cut using the #5 or #10 optivisor for certain things.
I first noticed that the scope wasn't always better for me when cutting outlines and longer straight lines.
I'm sure I'm not alone working like this. I'm curious to learn how some of you guys work and what are the circumstances when switching from scope to visor etc. In other words, where does the scope not work for you and vice versa.
Thanks y'all!
Layne

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Layne
I'm about where you are at with the scope and optivisor. I do most of my work with the optivisor for the same reasons you mentioned. The scope is great for smaller areas but it does not give me a true sense of the "whole thing" as i engrave so I limit it to shading and small areas. It also cant be beat for lettering. I use a #10 optivisor for the most part

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glad to hear that from you Marty. The scope was one of those tools I thought I couldn't do without and to some extent it opened up a whole new world of fine detailed work for me. I now realize that for the majority of my work, the 10x optivisor is sufficient. Just like all other tools, the scope has it's place but there are many jobs, including fairly high end work, where it's not necessary. I agree though, on lettering, it can't be beat!
Layne

Andrew Biggs

You guys are lucky. Without a scope I'm dead in the water.

I started with an optivisor and then age crept up on me and my vision began to deteriorate. Pretty much happened overnight......bummer.

Cheers
Andrew

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very true Andrew. Many engravers absolutly need the microscope to see. Just dont get caught up with itty bitty details and lose sight of the whole thing.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
I been using my Optivisor since the start. My engraving style is on the bold side so they still seem to be working for me.
With that said.... I've never tried engraving with a microscope.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Like Andrew, my eyes don't work that well anymore..used to set 1mm stones by naked eye no problem, can hardly focus on them these days :(
Anyway, I use the scope 100%, but find myself zooming in & out alot, sometimes being too close is problematic & need to see the overall job.

mrthe

Lucly i have a perfect vision but i love work with scope, all the way my works are for the 90% small objects like coins and jewelry.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've been using a microscope since 1982. Back then my vision was perfect. Now it's not of course. I will admit to being a slave to the microscope and cannot produce my best work without one.

Another huge benefit that should be noted is that when using a microscope your eye muscles are in the relaxed state (like looking at the horizon). This equates to no eye strain or headaches which often happens with headset magnifiers or working with the naked eye.

If you're considering a scope I would strongly advise getting a good one. This is no place to cut corners.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the scope for nearly all my work. I frequently inspect with my trifocals and optivisor but the biggest issue is my neck. Without the scope I'd be done period.

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Florescent magnifier is another option

I made a 5 1/2" disc aluminum motorcycle air cleaner cover the other day. The border oak leaves were 3/4" and lettering 1/2" to 1". So no need for scope! I used my handy Luxo florescent magnifier lamp. It was just right.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I do all my engraving using a number 3 optivisor. have the higher numbers but find I have to get to close to my work and just can't get use to it.
I purchased a scope from Tara a couple of months ago but have not gotten it set up yet due to I am redoing my engraving bench and area to better accommodate the use of the scope. But my initial thoughts with its purchase was to use it for shading and game scene. So I am hoping to have it set up before the end of the year.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I bounce back and forth between the scope and optivisors depending on the job. When I am engraving a long rifle I use the optivisors for the patch box. The side plate, lock, toe plate and inlays I try to do off the rifle if possible and I do these under the scope. I can definately do finer or cleaner work under the scope but there are times that the work dictates the use of the optivisors. I use a 3,7 and 10 depending on the work. For general line work I use the 3, for shading I use the 7 most of the time, for lettering depending on the size of the lettering I use the 7 and 10.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jon, watch out that scope doesn't change what you do too much. Your style is beautiful already! One of the things I had to learn when working under a scope, at least for larger scale, less detailed pieces, was to not go overboard. Just because I can see it under high magnification doesn't mean the job calls for that level of detail. On some jobs, I think there is such a thing as too clean. On others, they can never be clean enough. Just depends on what the anticipated end result calls for.
Layne

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Sam taught me on a scope an now I just assume to use my visor as a paperweight! My eyes don't get tired as fast an my back is in better alignment with the scope. Only thing I would consider would be surgical glasses. I have heard they are wonderful but just as much as a scope

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I work almost exclusively with a scope. I find that the only time I need to use an optivisor is when I am using a dot punch and hammer. (I hate hitting the scope on the upswing!!!) If I want the "big picture" I turn to the lowest power setting on the scope. It's really not that far from the optivisor's power, anyway.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
I did all of my stone setting with optivisors or a 14x loupe for years, and then five years ago I got a scope, the first piece I used it on was a bracelet that I had to pave 205 small diamonds into, and was sure glad I had the scope. Now that I'm trying to do engraving I go back and forth between the two, but every year it seem like I am using the scope more and more.

Latest posts

Sponsors