School question

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
I recently got a hold of some tapes by a Robert E Maki, School of Firearms Engraving. The tapes appear to be of the H&C, Hand push type. I was wondering if any one knows something about him.

Last edited:

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
no one has posted yet, maybe an internet search would turn up something for you, iam too new at this to know much. id say if you learned anything from the tapes then he was a pretty good teacher.. we all gain something that will serve us, or , at least i hope we do..in the late 1980"s, i picked up "the book of buckskinning, a six volume set, and i came upon a chapter on engraving, an one on scrimshaw. i hadnt expected that. it spurred me on!!! at one time, i believed that engraving was dying out, and so much beauty would have really been lost. iam very thankfull for the CAFE, ive picked up knowledge that i could never afford to pay for, and this place gives one the courage to go on, no-matter-what...

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
There was a Maki school of engraving in Lake Forest, Illinois, a Northern suburb of Chicago in the 80's. I was just starting in gunbuilding and engraving and thought about attending, but never did. I think Maki advertised in Muzzle Blasts and other black powder periodicals. I don't know when he "folded his tent"; probably in the early 90's. I knew an excellent BP gunmaker in Wisconsin who had taken his course. This was mentioned in a newspaper article about him (the gunmaker). I may still have the article, but finding it would be challenging.

Guarnera

The tapes were part of a home study course he sold. You got the tapes, some gravers, some books, and practice plates. You did the exercises he gave you to do and mailed back the plates for grading. If you pasted, you moved on to the next exercise. If you didn't, you kept doing the one you sent him until you pasted. I don't know what ever happened to him. Kind of dropped out of sight.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your response. This was just a curiosity question, kinda who, what, and where, as I could not find any info on the net about him. Sometimes the background history is fun to dig into. Thanks all.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I also have Bob Maki's tapes in storage somewhere. I have been to his home a couple of time in past years. Bob’s a very nice fellow. His day job was firefighter in Glenview, Illinois, as I recall.

The last time I saw him he was selling engraving supplies at a gun show in Cook County, Illinois. Cook County evicted the gun shows years ago, so it must be quite a long time since we have had contact. I seem to recall the Illinois State Rifle Association raffled-off a Maki-engraved rifle ten or fifteen years ago.

Mike Fennell

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In "L´incisione delle Armi Sportive" by Mario Abbiatico there is one page dedicated to Robert E. Maki (page 472).

Martin,

I was looking at L incisione delle Armi Sportive just today. Your work pictured there (pages 496-497) was fabulous in 1982. I can only guess at what you are capable of today!

Roger

Markofx

Bob Maki

Hi Guys & Gals,

I met Bob Back in 1993, he stopped engraving and I purchased all his engraving tools. He worked with Hammer and chisel as well as the push method. He's a great man and a fine teacher. I think he just got tired of the time and energy it took to produce his type of work and when he started his school he thought he'd have a larger response. Sadly, he became discouraged and moved on to other things. It seems alot of engravers have either quit cutting or did it more as a hobby when the times got lean.

Mark

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I took Bob's correspondence course back in the late 1980"s but without the tapes. I would love to have a copy of them if there are any available. I still have his tools and my really messed up practice plates and pull them out when I don't think I'm making any progress with engraving. I wondered what became of him and would like to hear more of him and maybe from him. Maybe someone can get him to visit the Cafe some and come back to the craft.

DonNeal

I worked with Bob on the Glenview,IL Fire Dept. for 20+ years. I was priveledged to see his talent go from Novice to Master Engraver. I have one of his rarest pieces - a Northwestern "Virginian 74" golf putter - complete coverage & signed. Drop me a note if you'd like more info ... DonNeal

Zobo

Bob Maki

Hi Guys & Gals,

I met Bob Back in 1993, he stopped engraving and I purchased all his engraving tools. He worked with Hammer and chisel as well as the push method. He's a great man and a fine teacher. I think he just got tired of the time and energy it took to produce his type of work and when he started his school he thought he'd have a larger response. Sadly, he became discouraged and moved on to other things. It seems alot of engravers have either quit cutting or did it more as a hobby when the times got lean.

Mark
Hi Mark, I was just looking for info on Robert E. Maki tapes & engraving. I would be interested in purchasing tools & tapes if you would be interested in selling them. Thank You. Bob 630- 88five-416six.

Zobo

I also have Bob Maki's tapes in storage somewhere. I have been to his home a couple of time in past years. Bob’s a very nice fellow. His day job was firefighter in Glenview, Illinois, as I recall.

The last time I saw him he was selling engraving supplies at a gun show in Cook County, Illinois. Cook County evicted the gun shows years ago, so it must be quite a long time since we have had contact. I seem to recall the Illinois State Rifle Association raffled-off a Maki-engraved rifle ten or fifteen years ago.

Mike Fennell
Hi Mike, message re: Bob Maki Tapes, I'm interested in buying a copy. Let me know if you would be willing to sell. I am studying Bob's style of engraving, deep relief. Thank You Bob 630-88five-416six.

Latest posts

Sponsors