satellite turntable gas spring + picture of a knife.

R.Quecke

Does anyone know the specs on it? Length, diameter, extended length, compressed length, etc. All i know about it is that the gas spring is rated for 50lbs. I’m debating about putting a stronger one in it. That’s why i was wondering about the specs. I’d prefer not to pull it apart just for measurements.

Thank you and i hope everyone is well.

Also, here is a pic of quick little knife i did for a co worker. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 89ED75FB-D05F-4C38-B845-80761E923EDE.jpeg
    89ED75FB-D05F-4C38-B845-80761E923EDE.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 56053DBA-DC40-4844-A818-0ADB4547EACA.jpeg
    56053DBA-DC40-4844-A818-0ADB4547EACA.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 57

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know the specs on that particular unit, BUT I do know something about gas springs. Unless you're planning on putting more than 50 lbs or so on the platform, vise plus work object, there's really no point to installing a heavier duty gas spring.

The spring is the main weight support, while a valve on the air cylinder controls the height and the trapped air volume provides additional support to the spring. In other words, the spring carries most of the load while the air cylinder is the primary control mechanism. I assume an engraving turntable stand has a locking mechanism that clamps the cylinder assembly solidly to the main shaft to eliminate the bounce, which is desirable in an office chair but not an engraving platform?

Putting a heavier gas spring in a turntable stand would just make it difficult to adjust. Like having a chair with a spring that's stronger, 'heavier', than your body weight. Every time you wanted to lower the seat you'd need to have someone sit on your lap. And every time you wanted it higher it would be like an eject seat in a fighter. ;-)

Bottom line, GRS spec'd the gas spring so that it can lift the average ball vise & stuff, without users having to stand on it to make it go down.

R.Quecke

I don't know the specs on that particular unit, BUT I do know something about gas springs. Unless you're planning on putting more than 50 lbs or so on the platform, vise plus work object, there's really no point to installing a heavier duty gas spring.

The spring is the main weight support, while a valve on the air cylinder controls the height and the trapped air volume provides additional support to the spring. In other words, the spring carries most of the load while the air cylinder is the primary control mechanism. I assume an engraving turntable stand has a locking mechanism that clamps the cylinder assembly solidly to the main shaft to eliminate the bounce, which is desirable in an office chair but not an engraving platform?

Putting a heavier gas spring in a turntable stand would just make it difficult to adjust. Like having a chair with a spring that's stronger, 'heavier', than your body weight. Every time you wanted to lower the seat you'd need to have someone sit on your lap. And every time you wanted it higher it would be like an eject seat in a fighter. ;-)

Bottom line, GRS spec'd the gas spring so that it can lift the average ball vise & stuff, without users having to stand on it to make it go down.
I appreciate the response Mitch.
Ive been looking into getting the titan from Lindsay, which is why i was asking. Thank you for the input. Hope all is well.

Latest posts

Sponsors