Sandblasting effect using GRS machine

annarichards7

Hi All,

I am looking to get the attached sandblasted effect using my GRS graver. Does anyone know what the best attachment would be? I was thinking the diamond point stippling tool but I can't seem to find examples/ it in action anywhere! I do ideally want the metal to be shiny still rather than matt.

Has anyone used this before? Any other suggestions one how to achieve this sandblasted style effect. https://www.hswalsh.com/product/grs-diamond-point-stipple-tool-002-123

Thanks,
Anna

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 16.27.36.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 16.27.36.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 47

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Hello, I do not use a diamond cone, but a real brilliant-cut 2 mm diamond which I set upside down in a tool for my stone setting flexible shaft hammer handpiece. That leaves in Gold and Silver a set of sparkling impressions.

For the engraving handpiece, I made to stippling points out of worn dental burrs, I did go for round points of different diameter. As I work with noble metals, that works well for decoration. I’m not aiming for the dark effect of normal background stippling. A fine enough needle point, carefully rounded in the 100-200 micrometer range and polished, will get you an effect close to glass bead blasting.

For a real sandblasting effect, I use an air eraser similiar to this:

I got mine from ebay and paid a fraction of the original price. My experience with blasting media:

Aluminum Oxide and silicon carbide make dirty looking, dead, dull surfaces, dead grey on Silver, brownish yellow on Gold. I do not use these media for jewellry.

Glass beads make a matte, but still reflective surface. 80, 120 and 250 mirometer beads make clearly distiguisable, more or less structured surfaces. I use all of them depending on the purpose.

Now to the odd blasting media.

Baking Soda achives a clean, dead white surface on Silver. I never tried it on Gold.

Starch powder: virtually no effect on Silver or Gold, BUT on plastic matters, varnish, epoxy coats one achieves a matte surface.

Mask the surface that should not be blasted with tape or, for small areas, drawing gum. I use this drawing gum for small gypsy-set stones and the shining edge arround them.

Cheers

Ralf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors