Announcement: Sam's videos now available for instant download

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm happy to announce that my DVD videos are now available for instant download. I've been wanting to do this for quite awhile, but just recently found the right company to do the job. iPhone and iPad users can get a $1.99 app that automatically loads your videos purchases onto your iDevice for viewing at your workbench your easy chair. :)

Hand Engraving Videos On Demand

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh wow that's great, i just got an IPad since last week.
Thank you Sam, I just have to find out how it works with the IPad, never had one before....

mrthe

is a very good idea expecially for user like me that living in other countryes, is more fast , cheap and simply !

Sam

Staff member
Hi Bill. You can rip the DVDs and put them on your iPad or iPhone using iTunes, if that's what you're trying to do. There's software that'll do that. I'm using a company that handles everything from payment to downloads, so I don't have a way to do it on my end. Thanks for your purchases :)

mrthe

i have make the same with the one that i have buy from sam , in mac you can use handbrake to make this convert it in mp4 and sync it by itunes

Twinck

Sam, just wondering how this works with the MOD app? The documentation is a little sketchy, do you download the file then load on to the idevice? (watchable offline) or does it stream?

Looking forward to getting the videos, just need to make sure I get the right format ;-)

Thanks

Tom

Sam

Staff member
Hi Tom. The MOD Mobile app downloads the videos to your iDevice after you've purchased them on your computer. There is no streaming so no internet connection is required after they're downloaded.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, this looks like a great idea!

As mrthe's mentioned, for folks like us who don't live in the US, shipping & taxes can be a real pain.
Added to that, I love the idea of being able to properly download something that can be watched over and over, is a huge selling point for me. :thumbsup:

I already have several of your DVD's. Last year I was taking a flight to Italy, so I ripped the dvds to my Ipod, to watch during my journey... I have to say, that was one of the most enjoyable and 'educational' flights I've ever had! (Thank you) ;)

Do you know what format the downloads come in Sam?

Jo

Sam

Staff member
Hi Jo. Thanks for purchasing my videos and I'm glad you enjoyed them on your flight :)

The downloaded videos are .MOV files. No ripping necessary now. You can easily put them on your iDevice or laptop and you're ready for your next trip :cool:

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, Jo :)

The majority of recent sales have been for downloads as opposed to DVDs. Sure makes it easier and faster, especially for international orders :thumbsup:

Twinck

Downloaded the jewellery engraving video last night, watched it today and will watch it a few more times before the end of the week. Its wonderful to see the hands of a master in motion :)

I was wondering what the size of the ring used in the video is, or would be a good thickness for practice? I was thinking possibly 3.5mm wide, is 1.5mm thick enough to the nick & round border?

Thanks again Sam, given the lack of classes down this end of the world its very good to be able to watch these... More demonstration videos could be good too.. especially with the download option... Are there likely to be more forthcoming?

Tom

Sam

Staff member
Hi Tom. Glad you like the video :thumbsup: If I'm not mistaken, the ring I engraved in the video was 4mm wide. 3.5 should be fine as well, and 1.5mm should be thick enough for the nick & round border.

My customers have spoken - instant downloads are what they want. I've shipped very few DVDs since my videos went on-demand.

Right now I'm working on a tutorial series on using Adobe Illustrator for manipulating text, tracing designs, etc. It focuses on what engravers need to do for creating reusable vector layouts for printing and transferring.

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,

Keep the DVD's around for a while, some of us with slow internet are put of luck on large downloads.

Peter

Sam

Staff member
Good points, Peter. At this stage video downloads are an option and not as a replacement for DVDs. From what I've read though, the DVD is slated for extinction as the world gets closer to streaming everything. We're not there yet of course. Everyone will need to have broadband before that'll happen.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I got one of your great videos in this way, Sam and it works really good. It took me twenty minutes only to load all the files on to my computer.
That's cool! :thumbsup:

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Mario :) The videos are hosted on a global content delivery system so they download as fast as the customer's internet connection anywhere in the world :cool:

Latest posts

Sponsors