?SAM, Radius Heel grinding?

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Sam;

In your new Lettering Techniques video chapter on Script Lettering, you mention that you use a 10-20 degree radius heel on your flat graver. How do you grind a radius heel? My assumption is that the proper degree heel is first ground and then you radius it afterward?

Regards;
Steve

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That would be one way to do it. On one of the grs videos, don glaser shows grinding one. Basically he kisses a fine lap at 10, 15, then 20'. then switches to the ceramic lap and leaves the post loose and go up and down from 10-20' to polish the "steps" to rounded.

The other way is just using the ceramic lap and doing the up and down polishing with the fixture. This will yield a shorter heel.

It can be done by hand too, but not necessarily as accurate.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That would be one way to do it. On one of the grs videos, don glaser shows grinding one. Basically he kisses a fine lap at 10, 15, then 20'. then switches to the ceramic lap and leaves the post loose and go up and down from 10-20' to polish the "steps" to rounded.

The other way is just using the ceramic lap and doing the up and down polishing with the fixture. This will yield a shorter heel.

It can be done by hand too, but not necessarily as accurate.

Hi Steve. In the video I reference iGraver.com where you can download my flat graver sharpening instructions. :)

Latest posts

Sponsors