Sam and GRS saved the day at Las Vegas !!

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I just returned from Las Vegas and the Safari International Show. The show went very well and the SCI Auction Rifle sold for $145,000.00 at the Saturday Evening Banquet and Auction.

We did experience one tragedy that had me in a sweat. On Friday morning a guy with a I-Phone was trying to take pictures of the gun. Although we had a guard on duty and we were both watching, folks just could not help themselves from bending over the roped off display to get closer to the rifle for photos. One gent tripped over the easel and fell into the rear of the display. He and his I-Phone crashed into the butt plate and seriously damaged the bulino detail on the elephant. We did have the rifle bolted to the risers at the sling swivels so fortunately the gun was was not knocked to the floor!

After I regained my senses, and having absolutely no tools for repair, I went begging to the GRS Booth.

Sam and Aaron McMichael were there to help! They fixed me up with handful of tools and I went back to my display and did some repairs to the gold and platinum elephant on the butt plate using these tools and my Loupe...good enough so that most could not see the damage.

One of the tools that Sam lent me was a Micro Mark fiberglass brush. That was a fabulous thing to "erase" some of the damage. That allowed me to remove some of the abrasions so that I could "pick" the damaged bulino dots. I'll being going to their web site to day to buy one!

Photos (from my I-Phone) of the First-of-Series World Heritage SCI Auction rifle on display are attached here.

Thanks again to Sam and Aaron:clapping:

Note: the entire display shown here was included in the auction (rifle, walnut cadenza, and elephant leather trunk case)

Note: this was the butt plate before final finish and the damage. After the incident, there was a crescent shaped indention just above the elephant's left eye and abrasions on the the trunk and platinum tusks.

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
You should have displayed the guy's tanned and stretched hide to dissuade anyone from doing that ever again. :)

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Now, I REALLY have to find my German brush, and their refills! Got so much stuff around, who knows where? They've come in handy for more than a few occasions. Definately worth the price, when nothing else will do!

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Doc - I ordered several sizes and styles of the Brushes from Micro Mark. The mini brush is currently out of stock, but I have it on back order..............

Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mike, congratulations on the auction! I would hate to be the engraver that had to follow this incredible piece for next year's SCI auction. It was masterfully designed and executed and was a pleasure to see.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks Doc - I ordered several sizes and styles of the Brushes from Micro Mark. The mini brush is currently out of stock, but I have it on back order..............

Mike

Mike: Get a pack of the mini refills. As far as I know they'll fit in any 2mm lead holder. I find the mini is the most useful size for the work I do.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use these brushes a lot on gold and silver. They are a great tool but I have one warning. The little fiberglass bristles break off and will give you slivers that you cannot see. Try and keep these slivers out of your clothes. They are not fun to deal with especially in your pant. Also watch your eyes. Don't blow these slivers away with an air blower.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Firstly, beautiful work. Second, sorry the incident happened, and thirdly what a great story of salvation. I have a comment on the fiberglass brush. It is a fantastic tool, and I agree about the slivers, watch out. For anyone sculpting, the tool also works great for plaster.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great looking engraving as usual Mike!!!
Glad you were able to get things repaired. That always makes things pretty tense when things like that happen.
Rex

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
superb work ! then again, all you do deserves such a title. as for the sub moronic that caused all that grief, you should send him a bill for "emergency, rush repair work".

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Unfortunately, I've been in that guy's shoes !
Back in the early 80's, while doing my ER rotations at the county hospital, a Troll(person who lives under one of the numerous bridges) was brought in in pretty bad shape. The intern tried numerous times unsuccessfully to secure a subclavian line in the fellow. FINALLY!, he got it threaded and barked at me to get a suture kit from the opposite side of the room. So, taking the shortest route possible, UNDER the IV line, I procceeded to catch the line on my scissor's holster and subsequently jerked the line out

Andrew Biggs

It's a pity you didn't have any ammo for the gun. It wouldn't have solved the problem, but it would have given you some satisfaction.

Before anyone gets upset at that remark...............Of course I mean it in a non threatening, politically correct, hand wringing, save the dolphins kind of way. :)

A horror story with a great ending.......and a fabulous gun!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
.............and I got to see it in person. Mike is one of the best at designing with gold. Well done. $145,000 is a nice kick start for the series. I hope it continues for the next four. How come everyone was able to find the GRS booth but me. I went down twice and looked at 4082 and 4080 was no where in sight. All comments about blind and stupid are duly noted and probably appropriate.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Lee: I went to the GRS Booth three times during the show. I got lost every time !@ That's a really big show floor and the outer edges are very confusing!

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I understand they have banned him from the laser light show on Fremont street- the original strip in Las Vegas.

Latest posts

Sponsors