Announcement: Sad sad news..

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm shocked and saddened to hear this news. Unbelievable. Heartfelt condolences to Phil's family.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
He was an excellent engraver and a very nice guy. I'm so sorry to hear the news. Condolences to his family and friends (which includes many of us here).

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
A great loss!

Phil, my friend was hospitalized urgently Sunday in the night after a cerebral accident. After two days of intensive medical care, he passed away this afternoon.
Everyone is shocked by this unexpected death.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am at a total loss for words. It was an honor to know Philippe and have him as a friend. This is a major loss to the engraving world. I am so sorry.

Marty

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is sad news, Philippe spent a couple of days at my place many years ago and we had a good time showing each other different techniques.

Phil

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just heard about this a few minutes before the thread. I too am at a loss. The engraving world lost a great engraver and person.
Rex

Attachments

• Rex Pedersen and Philip Grifnee at FEGA booth.jpg
    Rex Pedersen and Philip Grifnee at FEGA booth.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 375

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I remember sitting in Phil's kitchen with Kim Pember from GRS as we drank Nescafe and tried to explain why he should consider being a Grandmasters instructor. Phil had many reasons why he didn't think it was possible but agreed to think it over. Thankfully he did accept! I was his assistant and he was immensely proud to be a Grandmaster. I believe he taught two Grandmasters courses.

He was blazingly fast with hammer & chisel and push graver.

grifnee_IMG_0411.jpg

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Add my heart felt condolences to his family and to all who knew Phil. He was a true friend with a great personality and will be sorely missed! I was really looking forward to visiting with him in Reno this winter.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
that really is sad news.. mes condoleances a ses proches..

Arnaud, take a look at grandmasters website for pics.. Truly a Master

capece rocco

Elite Cafe Member
I'm very sad ,he was my friend[,here's 2 pictures of his fabulous job
Rocco
ATTACH=CONFIG]19822[/ATTACH] p2.jpg

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 175

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
It was a pleasure to have known Philippe and to have been one of his students. I drank beer with him, ate Chinese food with him, Alain, and Linda and Charlie Shreck. He also had some of the best cigars I've ever smoked.He was a very honest man, a good teacher, and could move massive amounts of metal with a hammer and chisel, hand held gravers and scrapers. If he broke a tool he would curse in English or Belgian depending on who was listening, but could resharpen the tool very quickly, by hand, and be cutting again in a flash. One thing he said to me more in his sculpting class in 2008 was, deeper, you must go deeper!!!!!

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I add my condolences. I was honored to call him friend and a great admirer of his work. Rest in peace.

Latest posts

Sponsors