Help, please: Rust prevention on steel engravings.

a1screwball

Hello, I am a beginner engraver. I started a couple years ago. What is used to blacken the backgrounds of scroll work? Also what is used to prevent rust on steel engravings? I am playing with the idea of engraving some of my firearms. Thanks!

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a very open question: black comes from rustoleum flat black or printers ink. The finish on the firearm can be any one of several finishes: blueing, French grey, plating with a metal such as nickel.

Check out this forum and gunengraving.org There are many answers to find. The problem is asking the right question.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On a using or carry gun not much will prevent oxidation, wear, and rust but regular care. Bake on lacquer from Brownell's is an awfully good product. So is Renaissance was if regularly applied. poor maintenance will lead to problems. Display pieces of art hold up better as a general rule. It is like super fine shading on silver and gold. If the piece is used the fine shading will not last. Things like a horn cap on a saddle take a lot of handling. fine shading wont last, Bulino type work can be destroyed by just rubbing you figure over it, As engravers we need to keep in mind the use and abuse an item will take and make recommend the right cutting for the job at hand.Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors