Ruger #1 in Stainless

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Tira,

Looks great! It looks like you had the barrel to contend with as well. I am glad the graver worked well for this . they were designed for stainless but work well for about anything. Powley told me he has had great success with those gravers on stainless as well. I think though that the combination of the three things you did made it work. Sharpening without polishing. the graver itself and probably the most important was cutting slow. i have been preaching this for some time when it comes to stainless. Cutting slow allows the tougher material to be cut and not pushed which is what causes most people issues with the tougher stainless steel.

Did you use any lube ? This will make a difference as well.

Thanks, Chris

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't mean to hijack a thread but Chris, are the gravers Tira mentioned available for sale or is this just a geometry that works for you. I'm about to cut 3 stainless 1911s. (I know, I'm a masochist) Fortunately they are in 416 stainless which has been no problem for me in the past. Not the easiest thing to cut but not unpleasant either. I do however appreciate any tips or advice to make the job easier.
And Nice job Tira. You are a braver engraver than I.
Layne

Sponsors