rough drawing attempt!!

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice... I only dream to draw and create this good...
If you don't mine I would like to print and reduce and try to engrave...

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks.... the bad thing is...I'm pretty sure I can't engrave it!!

Shawn

Nonsense! When you came aboard you posted pictures of your leatherwork.
If you can carve like that on leather, it should take little time for you to be able to engrave well also..
Thats a very interesting desing I would love to see in steel.......

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
shux: if it's drawn on the part, it's quite an easier matter to get a graver to chase those lines. your lines have a very fluid flow, the border penetration i thought unique. if your graver's sharp, that design will almost cut on its own.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sweet Drawing, Quit yacking & cut it! :D I bet you'll do a great job! I'm looking forward to seeing it. Dwayne

Andrew Biggs

Hi Shawn

A very nice drawing you've done there. I like the way the scroll pierces the border.

There are a couple of areas that I would draw your attention to. Now this is only my opinion and you may have something in mind for when you are going to engrave it.

You have this lovely stylised flower that scroll is growing out of....just behind the flower you seem to have a couple of leaves that blend into the flower itself and create a bit of confusion visually. You can either take them out, or if you want to keep them, shade them to grey so that they recede into the distance. Sort of like a shadow.

The other area is you have a couple of leaf ends on the bottom right hand border that finish square. This gives them a cut off appearance. You could possibly bring them to a point that is inside the boarder or outside the border.

If you can draw it, you can cut it. It's a very nice design so be bold and get into it!!!

Cheers
Andrew

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Shawn,

Your design is gorgeous... Well distrubuted, balanced and flowing. I especially like the concept of the vines/leaves penetrating the border. I have seen this used before and I thought I should give it a try, but somehow haven't yet. It is always interesting to see how nature will reclaim that which is made by man. Your design hints at this truth.

I have a hard time with my designs in trying to keep things balanced and flowing without everything ending up looking completely symetrical (man-made). You do it beautifully here.

I also agree with Andrew regarding the flower but I think that once you add the shading the confusion of the flower and leaves may be easily worked out.

Please keep posting your progress!

smays

andrew,i agree... it was a brain fart trying to fill in dead area behind the flower. Once I cut it, I could manipulate it to make it blend a little better. I thought that if run the leaves into the border, giving it the look of running underneath it...it wouldnt look as empty. I will post it when i am done, dont worry.

Eveyone thanks for the comments! it gives me hope!

Shawn

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't ever say you can't cut something you have drawn!!! If you can draw it, you can cut it! The only difference in the two is one is with a pencil and the other is with a graver, a metal pencil. Go to it and don't worry about the design, just cut the line under the graver point.

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work for real. I have been drawing and painting much of my life and I like the way this feels when I look at it. Design is as much emotion as mecanics and you've got both at work here. I would really like to see it when you cut it. Thanks

S~

smays

quick question.... when shading, starting from the finest point to the heaviest point, do you increase the power...or just give your handpiece a little tweek to widen the line? I know both can do the trick... but I guess I really dont want to go deeper huh? I guess I just answered my own question. I also found something else out this weekend... It's harder for me to turn the vice clockwise rather that ctr. clkwse. I know...practice, practice, practice! I also found that the "full lenght heel" that grs talks about and a similar heel used by steve's point was easier for me to run with the lack of experience that I have. Is it just a little less forgiving since it carries the whole face? Just some thoughts and any comments would be helpful as you guy's usually are.

Shawn

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn, the fine to wide cut is just normal. If you can start a line using a square graver (not a flat) and not have a taper at the beginning of the cut then please show me how!LOL It'd make chequering bolt handles and top levers a darned sight easier. I usually have to re-enter the cut in the other direction to do this. Sometimes we get so hung up in how exactly something should be done we forget to just let out bodies do what comes naturally. Let me reitterate, there is no need to tweek your graver at the end of the cut; just start of fine as you'd normally do, gradually increase the pressure and pop your bur at the end.