rose gold filled wire

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Cloudy ,

Don't use gold filled wire for inlay....

The center is usually brass, and after filing and sanding flush - will show through. And tarnish.

Long ago, when prices were MUCH cheaper - we used to special order gold fill over fine silver sheet for certain jobs.

But we WANTED the effect you could get when the base metal (silver) showed through the gold when you engraved deep.

You won't want the result you get from using gold filled wire for inlay. :(

Brian

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
While the subject of gold filled wire is up, here's a joke we played on a few apprentices:

We would send 'em to a supplier to pick up a bunch of stuff on a list...

Last item on the list was 3 ounces of 14K gold filled casting shot.

The guy at the Frei-Borel counter always knew whoever was asking for it - was from our shop. :)

B.

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Those are being manufactured again. I heard they are setting up shop in Washington, times must be tougher than I thought, they say guys are lining up to shift smoke.

Bob

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
and the ever-popular metric crescent wrench...

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
When I worked for a small feed and farm company, we would send the newbies out to buy a open end/box end ,left handed wrench with a right sided camber.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
navy---new officers reported aboard ship to the captain first. he always seemed to send them on an endless search for "relative bearing grease". took an eternity to report back to the captain that there was none to be found !

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
navy---new officers reported aboard ship to the captain first.

Dad was in Naval aviation in WWII serving with VP-74 in the PBM Martin Mariners. They would get the new guys to check the intercom. They would be in the next compartment telling them to speak louder and put it up to their lips! It was the in-flight urinal apparatus. :)

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
S.C. At the first shop I worked for, a Diamond Magnet is what we called the sticky wax on the end if an old beading tool, used to pick up small stones when setting them. So if you never found any, I guess that's because we had them all. :biggrin:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As a welder I sent my new helpers for "arc-start" and "crack cleaner." There actually IS a product called Crack Cleaner, but they looked for hours for "arc-start." Not sure the contractor appreciated it much, but we had a blast with it, especially when they had to walk down 20 or 30 flights of stairs looking for the stuff!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, you must mean a metric adjustable spanner, Crescent is a brand name and they did make metric wrenches.

when i was a kid, a "Crescent wrench" was the common term for an adjustable wrench (like Kleenex, Xerox, etc- after its inventor or most common mfr)- probably because "CRESCENT" was cast right into the handle. in that politically incorrect era, they were also referred to as "(insert ethnicity of choice here) socket sets". :rolleyes:

and with the exception of the odd pretentious Anglophile or ex-pat mechanic, if somebody asked for an "adjustable spanner", they were expecting something like this: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/63940712

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors