Help, please: Rookie blues !!!

bksocoiny09

I AM "BRAND NEW" TO THIS AND I'M IN DESPERATE NEED OF "KNOW HOW". IS ANYBODY INTERESTED IN BEING MY MENTOR SO I CAN START LEARNING THIS BEAUTIFUL ART. I'VE ALWAYS TRIED DRAWING SCENERIES AND IMPROVING ON THEM SINCE MIDDLE SCHOOL. I'VE NEVER BUILT ON IT BUT NOW I AM UNABLE TO WORK IN ANY OF MY FIELDS AND I'M INTO COIN COLLECTING AND I HAVE SEEN SOME INTERESTING "HOBO" NICKLES BUT I KNOW THAT ONCE I GET A GOOD GRASP OF THAT, I WILL WANT TO GO ON TO BIGGER FIELDS OF THE ART. SUCH AS GUN INGRAVING.... I AM LOST IN ALL OF THESE BLOGS AND GROUPS BUT I'M WILLING TO LEARN HOW TO COMMUNICATE WITH ANYONE INTERESTED IN TEACHING ME AND/OR GIVING ME ADVICE. I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT BASIC TOOLS AND/OR BOOKS I WOULD NEED TO GET STARTED ON THE HOBO NICKELS OR ANY OTHER SMALL ART JOBS. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS...... usocoiny09@yahoo.com ..... thank yall for listening and for helping me.... sincerely, bryan

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Bryan. Welcome to the Cafe and the great art of hand engraving :tiphat:

My advice is to take an engraving class. There are many to choose from and several excellent teachers on this forum. When you take a class you'll be off and running far faster than you will be by teaching yourself from books and trial & error like many of us had to do years ago.

I would also suggest to avoid typing in ALL CAPS is it's difficult to read.

Cheers / ~Sam

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you'll grt lots of mentoring just by absorbing some of what's available here. check out the tips section for a lot of useful tricks of the trade..

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Bryan,

I started out with one-on-one classes for a year and a half...then I went to the GRS Training Center! I should have went there day one! I learned more in that week then I had in a year and a half of one on one...The instructor (Rex Pedersen, who posts on here as well) is excellent! I also got to sit in with Diane Scalese and she demonstrated bright cutting. Excellent too! In all honesty all of the instructors there are there because they are masters in engraving and because they are very good at teaching.

In short got to GRS to get started!

http://www.grstrainingcenter.com/

Donny

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bryan what fields did you previously work in and tell what happened that you can no longer work in those fields?

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bryan,
I took the GRS beginner class and it was invaluable. Slowly bought some equipment and practiced as much as I could then spent a week in a one-on-one class. Both classes were time and money well spent. But start drawing as much as you can.

Todd

Latest posts

Sponsors