Question: Rolex back engraving

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all, I've got a rolex back to engrave. For those that have engraved them previously, I am assuming you had the back removed from the watch first.
Has anyone engraved the back with the watch assembled?
Any advice would be appreciated.

DaveatWeirs

I've done a few with the back in place, just lettering/dates and the like. I checked with the rolex watchmakers in work before doing them and they said the watch would be fine. If you're going very heavy/deep maybe do it in two passes

EDIT: Watch out for the lugs! depending on the model they can bump your graver when you're sweeping over them for curves

Last edited:

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
I've done a few with the back in place, just lettering/dates and the like. I checked with the rolex watchmakers in work before doing them and they said the watch would be fine. If you're going very heavy/deep maybe do it in two passes

EDIT: Watch out for the lugs! depending on the model they can bump your graver when you're sweeping over them for curves
Thank you!

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've always engraved them with the back on, using a Lindsay airgraver. If the back is steel that's great; best steel back watch I've cut. Plus the back has no hallmarks, so it's easy to lay out the inscription. For fun, go over to youtube and watch Joanne Ryall cut a rolex back.

Allan

Latest posts

Sponsors