Rolex 904 stainless...engravable?

Kerry Bogan

Sam
The L after the 904 may refer to a lead alloy. This is added to increase machine ability and finish. It should also translate into easier to engrave.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Sam I cut a couple lines on the horns with a HSS and m42 and m43 and it cut OK, it doesn't seem as hard as the cylinder of the North American 22 mag...
Jerry

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a good sign, Jerry. Thanks for doing the test for me. 904 might not be a scary as I was imagining.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help very much.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Kerry, the "L" designation = low carbon. It should probably mean extra low because the difference is tiny and hardness is not really affected. Sulfur content is what makes a grade more or less machinable as it acts as a lubricant during the machining process. I have found that machinability and engravability are not very related :). And who knows for sure what the state of the material is after the part is completed - cast hardened, or work hardened from an annealed state. Even in a hardened state, 904 can't possibly be as hard as 316 because of its nickel and copper content.

This website might be of some help for future reference - www.matweb.com It's the online materials database. 904 is in there. Having some gauge for Rockwell Hardness with experince engraving other metals will help take the mystery of that seemingly arbitrary number without requiring a degree in metalurgical science.:p (The other course which helped me transfer to business school very quickly:D).

I was going to suggest picking up a piece of 904 from a local stainless distributor but after doing some searches, it's kinda rare.

A materials discussion or list would be a great help to beginners. Titanium grades, stainless grades etc etc.

Good luck Sam, I hope you give it a go and it works out very well. This thread has been a great help and very interesting too.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris

Thanks for that link. I've saved it to my favourites.

The watch bezels I'm engraving are either 316 or 316L and they are machined. They're as hard as the hobbs of hell but still engraveable but you are in for a lot of sharpening time. I personally like the Gensteel gravers for them as they don't shatter as much like the harder gravers .........but they do wear down pretty quickly and when the tips break its not as catasrophic. John B's clever little gravers work brilliantly for the shading cuts and generally do all the shading without breaking.

Cheers
Andrew

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was going to suggest picking up a piece of 904 from a local stainless distributor but after doing some searches, it's kinda rare.
I think this is the very reason Rolex use it! If you go their website I think referral to this fact is part of the marketing. Bloody expensive watches is all I know!

Last edited:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Marcus, I was surprised to learn that 904 is being used for watches because of it's nickel content. Prestige may very well be the motive because if you are allergic to nickel, don't buy a stainless Rolex.

Hi Andrew, it's definitely a very thin line between bending graver points or shattering them (no pun intended!!). I have a few items under my belt executed in "broken graver" engraving. If it's broken on the left, just keep making cuts to the right ;).

Sam ... happy to be of service without causing a commotion of course.

Andrew Biggs

Oh yeah Chris.

I've done a few of those myself. Looking through the scope wondering why the bottom of the cut looks a bit strange..............and deciding to chance my luck with just one more cut..........arrrgh :eek::eek::eek:

Cheers
Andrew

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I've done lettering on Rolex stainless case backs with no problem using Lindsay carbalt tips. The first time I did a Rolex back (before I had a pneumatic drive) I used an old Busch carbide ball bur ground into a graver point and had to hammer it. Trying to push it through by hand just caused the point to break instantly. I guess hand pushing is a bit like trying to push a screwdriver into a rock crevice and prying, the point just snaps because hand pushing naturally waivers a bit when the going gets tough and pushing is hard. I remember feeling pretty lucky to get through that job without making a mess.

Kerry Bogan

Thanks Chris that web site is very valuable, I wish I had it 20 years ago. Some discussion and a "catalog" of different materials and engraver's experiences working with them would be very useful.
Thanks again.
Kerry

Jude

Sam
Not sure if you know Jason Marchiafava or not but he was working on that very thing when I was down at Blaine Lewis' school a few years back. Scroll engraving on a Rolex case. He didn't seem to be having any problem with it although I don't know which model it was. It was beautiful.
Jude

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Jude. That's good news if it was a stainless steel case he was cutting. Thanks for the info! / Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors