Rohner Chasing Hammer

Andrew Biggs

When I was recently at the Grand Masters, Scott Pilkington approached me to engrave a chasing hammer to go in the Rohner collection. Part of this collection appeared in the latest FEGA Engraver magazine. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would be asked to contribute to it.

The theme of the hammer is typically New Zealand and features quite a bit that is unique to our small part of the world.

The face of the hammer shows stylised versions of four of our native birds. The Kiwi, Kea (Key-ah), Takahe (Tar-car-he) and Fan Tail. The wording is 1.5mm high. The edging around the hammer face is a traditional Maori koru pattern and the background treatment is deliberately bright cut so the background becomes an integral part of the actual design.

The centre of the hammer shows a Maori mythical monster called a Taniwha (Tar-knee-far) that lives around water and swamps. The rear coned section is fully sculptured and features the stylised native birds, Kiwi, Pukeko (Pooh-keck-oh) and Kea.

The rear of the hammer shows four stars that make up the Southern Cross and they appear on our national flag. The word New Zealand is less than 1mm high.

The hammer itself measures 47mm long and the face has a diameter of 23mm. The total amount of time spent engraving it was 42.5 hours and that included a couple of hours prepping the hammer. The drawings took about another 8-12 hours on top of that.

On a personal note I must say that it’s been a real privilege to work on such a unique item. So now it’s onto the next project which is a Joe Kious folding knife.

As usual your thoughts, critique and comments are always welcomed.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Face.jpg
    Face.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 166
  • Top-view.jpg
    Top-view.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Side-2.jpg
    Side-2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Bottom view.jpg
    Bottom view.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Side-1.jpg
    Side-1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great job Andrew. Looks worthy of being part of a collection to me.

Thanks for the description, details of the project and for posting the pictures.

Peter

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you know, andrew, this is the "stuff" that makes me truly glad i found this forum. what a great thing to show here for us to see ! a truly remarkable gift to us all.

M

mcrapo

Andrew, fabulous art you have created there. I would love to see a photo of it with all the other master engravers hammers.

Thanks for sharing it.

Mike

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
That is THE coolest hammer I've ever seen!

Want a challenge? I've got here one 3-ton pneumatic hammer...

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

Jeez, to think you started engraving about two months before I did! You really need to quit fooling around and get serious! Actually, seeing your level of engraving design and execution, makes me want to sell all my tools! OK, just kidding, it actually gives the rest of us beginners hope that maybe one day we too can achieve greatness. I just have to practice more. I've got too many interests that I want to pursue, I need to focus. I WANT TO RETIRE! Oh well, now that I've got that out of my system! Seriously though, your work is growing exponentially. Keep it up.

Mark

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
You are something!!! Your work has no end with your artistic ability...
Hope to meet up in Reno to see and hold a peice of your work in my hand...
Scott chose the right engraver for Rohner collection...
Thank for showing....
Jerry

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Andrew, that's one heck of a fine engraving job! No doubt John Rhoner will treasure this little masterpiece you've created. Fantastic work! / ~Sam

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew .. that is just an fantastic job , I wouldn't have though it would be any different .. great work .. ron p.

Andrew Biggs

Thank you all for those positive comments. :)

It was a cool and fun wee project and presented quite a few challenges. The centre peice with the Taniwha has 2 small ridges either side of it. They don't look like much, but when you're trying to get the graver in there they feel about 2 meters high, so a lot of the cuts had to be made from several directions.

In the next few days it will be winging it's way back home to the United States.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors