Robert Maki Engraving Tapes

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Back in the early 80's I got Bob Maki's school of engraving VHS tape set. He was a great help to me and really started me off into the world of engraving. Back at that time there really was very little info to get on engraving and these tapes where about the only video learning vehicle out there.

He also sold you the chisels with the different points and a hammer plus the practice plates to cut. Which you would send back to him to be graded.

He was always available to answer your questions over the phone and was always inspiring.
Anyway I just found the vhs tapes and would love to pass them along to someone .
I don't have anyway of seeing if they still work but I am trying to see if a friend still has an operating VHS. I would like to see them one more time before I pass them on. It has been so long I have forgotten what is on them.

Any way if you have a true interest PM me and I will get back to you once I see if they still are any good. thanks ZZ

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You could do like I did with Maki's tapes, copy them to CD. I still have the VHS version plus the CD now and plan on keeping them for the engraving museum if we get one open. I've unknowingly destroyed history too many times in the past.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
zzcutter: I also have a set of his tapes, and luckily I still have a VHS player so I can still watch them. I also had the pleasure of meeting and taking a weekend seminar with him in the spring of 1990, in Burlington Iowa. He was still a fire fighter in Skokie, Illinois. We all used hammer and chisel and basically sat there and cut straight lines, circles, ovals on steel practice plates covered with white auto body primer paint. I still have those plates somewhere and I have occasionally seen them and reminisced about that weekend. He had just bought a Graver Max and was trying to teach himself how to use it. It was the first time I had ever seen a Graver Max as I was using a Gravermeister myself at that time. It's hard to believe it's been 26 years since then, and at that time I had already been engraving for 4 years, So I felt a little out of place in his class. He also was selling engraving supplies, gravers, hammers,books, Optivisers, etc. I bought Ron Smiths scroll design book and some Swedish tool steel graver blanks made by Fegersta, called WKE 45, which he claimed was the best tool steel available at that time. I still have it and still occasionally use it.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Tim, thanks for the info, Yes I too still have some of those gravers and think even today they make excellent gravers. I wish I could have met him while he was still engraving. I am going to have them burned on dvd so I can retain a copy and pass them on to someone else. ZZ