Rivets

Raymury

Hello,
Has anyone ever tried riveting a solid piece of metal to steel, for example I heard that some hard metals like 14k gold are very hard to do inlays with. I was thinking if you were to cut let's say a bird shape in solid 14 kt and you do Japanese style pocket inlay, you could also do rivets to make sure it will never come off. I'll try to do a drawing later if I get a chance. I have not tried this myself but it sounds like it would be a good idea if you do a lot of hard metal inlays? Let me know if anyone has tried it or wants to try it please.
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
There have been times when I have had to resort to riveting overlays in place, simply because for some reason I could not solder them or damascene them. (you can make a pretty soft 14K alloy)

Might have been because of where they were, the materials in the piece or some other complication. Vitreous enamel, stones that wouldn't take heat or shock, rosin filled hollows and patinas all come to mind.

One of those things you can't really define or teach. You have to bump your nose pretty hard to learn that "you can't get there from here"... and figure out another route.

Never had reason to add rivets to a proper inlay personally. Not in 40 some years anyway. (maybe I will tomorrow?)

No reason why you couldn't, but I'd have to have a pretty good reason why I should.

Brian

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
This is a view of a knife I made a few years ago. I riveted the silver overlays onto the blade after it had been hardened and tempered. Yes, holes drilled prior. I was running out of time to have it ready for a show and knew this was a much quicker way for me to apply the artwork. Didn't sell anyway! but riveting worked well in this application.
Mark

Attachments

• 20110813_6.jpg
    20110813_6.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 187

Raymury

Thanks everyone, I know that all the pros don't need riveting after doing inlays, I was just wondering if it was a method used for some really hard metals. Thanks for the response everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Sponsors