RIP Neil Armstrong

Andrew Biggs

Today the world lost one of it's greatest adventurers in the history of mankind. Neil Armstrong, the first man to set foot on the moon.

I well remember the day as a kid watching it on TV and hearing those immortal words……………..That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

Cheers
Andrew

mrthe

Rest in peace, a sad news, i wasn't born in 1968 but when i was child i rember my fascination every time that i see the Apollo 11 photos's on the moon

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It was all fake wasn't it??
:)
Seriously... It still is one of the most impressive things I will remember. All of this done with the computing power of what an average Buick has now. The words he spoke then are still as cool now as it was then.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sad news. Neil was the coolest guy ever, from being a test pilot flying the X15 to being a very humble and good man. RIP Neil.

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
I was an Air Force flight weather forecaster at Ellington AFB, Houston,TX, from where Mr Armstrong frequently flew. He was nice to us junior officers. He will be missed.
Les

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was a grown man when the Moon Missions were in full swing, in fact, in 1957, I was terrified to witness Sputnik 1, silent and bright, pass through the wintery skies over the ice covered mountain ridge, where I was caught out and benighted. Being out of news contact, it was a mystery to me.

I liked Mr Armstrong's quote, paraphrasing, he said, better for Russia and the US to dook it out in space, one up-ing each other in general scientific and engineering competitive excellence, rather than taking the world into war. I think he was right in this regard. I do wish we could divert more international disputes into space exploits, where all of humanity can applaud and relax. It is sort of happening, as nations partner up to save costs, and utilize the world pool of great people in many big projects. As a Scot, I have to share in the disappointment of Britain's lost Mars probe some years back, yet I do hugely congratulate all NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab and associates, who recently set the large "Rover" gently on Martian soil. It would be wrong to call it miraculous, as it was the result of meticulous planning and construction from start to finish. Mr Armstrong lived to see that Rover land, but may have regretted it did not have a cockpit and pilot?

Rod

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors