Announcement: Ring size Chart for making Rings from Plate

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
I found a ring size chart online.
The chart gives the length to cut plate by Gauge for the size ring that you wish to solder.
The bottom of the page says that it may be copied for personal use. Doesn't say anything about web reposting.
So if you Personally wish to have said chart ,I have it on PDF file if you wish to have it shout. If a Moderator would have a look at it and say its ok Ill attach it to this
post.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for that link! I make my rings a half size big so that when I wrap the ends around to solder, I can run a saw kerf in the joint to make sure that the joint is parallel and tight. I then use my ring compressor/ stretcher to make sure its round and tight, using the stretcher first for roundness and then compress to the right size. Makes a real good tight joint, ready for finishing.
Also usually fuse the joint, flowing metal from both sides, inside and outside. Makes a truly seamless ring!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
l'm not legally savvy enough to comment on that, but then again, ignorance is bliss ! i tried to take a look at this, but it wouldn't open.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ring mandrels have a length rule engraved into them for cutting flat stock to make a particular size. You can also take a strip of paper and wrap the finger or wrist fore that matter. I am fairly sure that Rod uses similar methods on his flutes or Tyg on his bagpipe rings. I have even used a piece of copper wire to insure that the ring would slide on and off some really big rings for some pro wrestlers I made rings for. Fred

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
Handy ring size reference

I marked my brass slide gauges like this for figuring ring blank lengths. Open a divider to desired size, then add 3 times the metal thickness. I also like to subract about 1/2 mm so I can stretch or forge the ring up to the correct size and make it round. I started at 38.5 and added 2.5mm for each size.

Attachments

• Ring size slide guage.jpg
    Ring size slide guage.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts

Sponsors