Rifle hardness check

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Beathard - I am no engraver but come from the gunmaking direction. I have little experience with their handguns, semi-auto rifles and pistol. Ruger #1 & 3's are made of SAE 8620 cast steel and a stainless that I am unaware of the SS analysis. As a cast steel they normally have hard and soft places and the Rc level on the ones I have tested are upwards from 45 (hard to very hard). As a matter of practice on Ruger #1&3's I have them annealed before refinement starts and any engraving. After all refinement is finish and the metalwork is ready for final finish bluing, graying etc. I have them re-hardened to around 34-36 Rc. I have worked on just a few 77's and they seemed to have been the same as the #1&3's. Shotguns are the same as #1&3's. I do not make it a practice to work on SS versions of anything. Roger

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Gerry,The Ruger#1 I've had no problem the #3 never engraved one,the 77's I only engrave the top of the rings,floor plate and trigger guard.For the floor plate you need to order a steel one from for Ruger for engraving. J.J.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
JJ will ruger sell you the steel floor plates direct, and who excectly would you contact for purchasing one .
thnaks ZZ

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
zz,Yes Ruger will sell you a steel floor plate for $81.61 phone#of parts dept.1-603-865-2442 part#D00511. J.J.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beathard, thank you for the question and big thanks JJ for answers. Very usefull info.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Ruger site says that it is chrome Molly with a black oxide finish. What is a black oxide finish?

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Black oxide is a cold dip solution that turns steel black shortly after contact. Caswell plating sells a black oxide that I have been using in the shop for several years. It works pretty good. It doesn't have the blue luster of a traditional blueing process. It is a flat black color. They also make a stainless steel blackening product.
Sandy

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Black oxide is a cold dip solution that turns steel black shortly after contact. Caswell plating sells a black oxide that I have been using in the shop for several years. It works pretty good. It doesn't have the blue luster of a traditional blueing process. It is a flat black color. They also make a stainless steel blackening product.
Sandy

Very interesting. . Would like to know more

Carlos De La O III

Latest posts

Sponsors