Rhino

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am in complete awe....Your talents are exceedingly exceptional. Thank you for posting. Seth Becker

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
spectacular. fantastic. brilliant. amazing. that is wonderful engraving.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Phil

A stunning peice and a ton of work. Just magic!!!

When you say polishing..............what exactley do you mean by that and what method do you use?

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew
If the gun is cyanide hardened it will have an overall greyish colour, if it has the traditional colour hardening produced with bonemeal etc. It will have the usual blue/brown colours, these sometimes need to be polished off to get back to 'steel'. There are various ways of doing this, gun blue remover being one. I prefer to use an abrasive rubber block, with this you can be selective in what you remove, thus leaving some dark colours in the deep carving to give it that extra 3d look.
Phil,

Such a small country, Wales, and with such world class artistry! Singing, rugby, engraving arts!

There is no end to its talents!

best

Rod
Rod,
And we're all so good looking too:D

Thanks also Tim, Eastslope, Joseph, Dennis, Denny, Sam, Brian, Mike and Ed.
You know, when push comes to shove this is just a Welsh boy trying to do his best :D

Phil

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew
If the gun is cyanide hardened it will have an overall greyish colour, if it has the traditional colour hardening produced with bonemeal etc. It will have the usual blue/brown colours, these sometimes need to be polished off to get back to 'steel'. There are various ways of doing this, gun blue remover being one. I prefer to use an abrasive rubber block, with this you can be selective in what you remove, thus leaving some dark colours in the deep carving to give it that extra 3d look.

Rod,
And we're all so good looking too:D

Thanks also Tim, Eastslope, Joseph, Dennis, Denny, Sam, Brian, Mike and Ed.
You know, when push comes to shove this is just a Welsh boy trying to do his best :D

Phil

WOW...stunning to say the very least. I hope to see a picture when the final polishing has been done.

Thanks,
Peter

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
You say the gun won't be completed until November, I am guessing you already have quite a few weeks in it already, how on earth do you stay focused on one job for so long? I am 3 weeks into a knife and looking at 2 more weeks to completion and I am forcing myself to stay on task, I can hardly imagine cutting on something with little end in sight. How do you do it?

Beautiful work BTW- Brian

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You say the gun won't be completed until November, I am guessing you already have quite a few weeks in it already, how on earth do you stay focused on one job for so long? I am 3 weeks into a knife and looking at 2 more weeks to completion and I am forcing myself to stay on task, I can hardly imagine cutting on something with little end in sight. How do you do it?

Beautiful work BTW- Brian
I don't know Brian......it has to be done and you just get on with it. This pair was started in January, I suppose you could say it's all down hill from here :D
The parts left ie. trigger guard, forend iron & tip, top lever, pistol grip cap are a lot smaller than the action which has a considerable amount of steel to be removed.

For those of you who remember the 'Nelson' gun, my next job is a second to this which will have a portrait of Nelson on the action base with Trafalgar battle scenes on the plates.

Phil

Andrew Biggs

Hi Phil

The Nelson Gun sounds really exciting. A very rich subject matter to call upon. He was a really interesting man that led an extraordinary life. The battle of Trafalgar makes for facinating reading as were his previous sea battles. I can see why the English have raised a monument to him

Rod, Rod, Rod, Rod,

Not everyone on the rugby feild can be as good looking as the New Zealand All Blacks, especially when they're performing the Haka!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• All Blacks Haka.jpg
    All Blacks Haka.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 44

Andrew Biggs

That's gorgeous!!! I love the cannon for the safety catch and the rigging on the detonators.

That’s some unique looking scroll………….is there something running through the middle of it?.........I just can’t quite make it out.

Fantastic!!!

Cheers
Andrew