Revised 1911 design

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ed Brown2 001.jpg
Worked off of some great suggestions and somehow went a bit overboard. Didn't intend on this much shading. The muzzle end still looks a bit thin and need to move the scroll upward but I think I'm closer.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I'm a 1911 addict to! You know what I want to try on one of mine I think would look cool? Running wheat on top of the slide.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
On the right side of the slide, the small scroll on the left spiraling off the large scroll is backward. Aside from that, it's a good design.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam A., I don't quite follow you and now I'm curious. Unless I'm just breaking a rule and don't see it. I'm guessing that you are talking about the small scroll spiraling to the left off of the starter scroll. If this is the case, tell me why the heck it doesn't work. My thinking was that I could use the small end of my starter scroll to branch off opposite and shore up the base a bit. Also since the end of the rear section tapers to the bottom of the slide, I used the small scroll to taper down the rear of the forward section.
If this one is just a NO NO then I'll use another device to achieve it. Unless y'all think it doesn't need the taper at all.
Thanks for the help guys.
Layne

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I missed that. He means on the forward scroll that you have an arrow pointing to, the small scroll coming off to the left of the origin should flow down and off to the the left instead of up and off to the left. It does not follow the flow of the main scroll spiral but is reverse to the flow. One of those No No's most people follow. You should be able to reverse it and keep it in the exact same area as you now have it.

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Question 001.jpg
The first looks ok to me. But I'm looking at the starter not as a "Start" but as a scroll on it's own and flowing in the opposite direction. Just when I think I've got all the rules down pat.
So here we go.
A will work but looks silly. B is an ok possibility but not in this situation. C has to be the only option I'm guessing. Of course with a bit of tweaking so that it flows from a little lower on the stem of the starter.
Tell me I got this one finally. I'm starting to feel silly. (and sorry for the lumpy scrolls, I'm moving fast here.)

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If thought of as a vine growing from a seed at the starter C would be growing in the correct direction.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
C is what I meant. In the drawing at the first of this thread you had the amount of area there in good shape so when you draw for real try to put C in the same area in size and coverage.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks again Sam. Wasn't until I looked over the possibilities that it suddenly clicked as to what was happening here. I realized the only options here were "A" and "C". "B" was NOT a viable position and suddenly I felt silly for not seeing it all along.
I really can't thank y'all enough. Having never had a teacher before, there have been quite a few little, but important things that I missed along the way. At first with engraving, and later with design. Having access to more experienced engravers through the forum has been invaluable to me.
Next time this happens, I'll be sure to just ask and not bang my head.
Layne Z

Latest posts

Sponsors