Review of Engraving Book

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently visited JJ Roberts "School of Artiistic Engraving" in Manassas, Va. JJ introduced me to a beautiful engraving book which many of you have already seen. For those of you who haven't the book "The Basics of Firearms Engraving" a manual of the NRA Gunsmithing Schools Program by Neil Hartliep is one of the finest books I've seen on engraving. It is well illustrated and comes with instructions for many processes of engraving that I haven't seen explained elsewhere. The explanations are clear and break down the mysteries of engraving/gunengraving. Fine explanations are given for inlay, borders, scrolls and more. I highly recommend it, it should be in every engravers library. I only wish I had discovered this book sooner.
In makes a great addition to my engraving library at an affordable price. It can be obtained easily from many internet sites. I got mine thru Brownell's.

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Neil's book is were I started-I bought my copy, a mega block, gravermeister, power hone and an assortment of hand gravers and was off to the races-great info in that book, Although I must admit that I never did get the hang of cutting towards myself-found control very frustrating. You are right it is a very good guide to start down this road we call engraving.Fred

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Neil's book is still available for $25.00 at the gun show in Chantilly, VA..Tommy's Books always has Neil's book for sale. I have sent a # of people over to him to purchase. I met Neil at an NRA convention in Phila. when I lived in NJ. He was a real gentleman. I believe he was a good friend of John B.

Andrew Biggs

I'd personally rate "The Basics of Firearms Engraving" by Neil Hartliep as being in the top 3 instructional books about engraving. Whilst it relates to firearms engraving is also applies to engraving in general. It covers a lot of ground and is invaluable information for the beginner.

It costs $19.95 at Brownells and here is the link to Brownells.

Cheers
Andrew

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just ordered mine, thanks for the info guys, Looking forward to getting it in. I can use all the help I can get :)

Dwayne

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
I wish I had known about the Brownell's availabilty. I just bought one on ebay for $32.00...hmmph!

John Cleston

This was my first engraving book. I bought it in a Beginners Engraving Kit sold by Brownell's in 1994 I think the kit cost me $170.00.

I built the turntable bench first, It took a long time to get the right mix of componets. It is in the dungen with the rest of my relics. I am working on my own version of an engraving ball. Truth be told I should have just saved my money and bought a true engraving ball. But as a hobby engraver $650.00 seems like a lot for a vise.

In a few week I'll try and post a picture of my (new engraving ball)

Latest posts

Sponsors