Question: reversable ingot mold

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi again, I have cast stuff for years so melting,fluxing ect. is second nature but it has all been with the centrifugal lost wax process. The rise in cost of silver has made me more careful with my scrap and I got an iron reversable ingot mold to recycle rather than turn it in for scrap.

My question is about heating the mold before pouring, the lost wax molds have always been run red hot right from the burn out. I know the iron mold should be heated but how hot? any other tips for this type of mold would also be appreciated. Spray on mold release or just smoke the mold? :thinking:

Anyway any information on an iron ingot mold would be very much appreciated.

scott99 :tiphat:

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I've been rolling for over 30 years. The mold needs to be heated past the "dew point" of the flame. When you bring the flame up to the cold ingot mold you will see dew form immediately on the iron. The mold should be about 300 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent dew from forming. If you were to pour molten metal onto a cold ingot mold dew would form under the metal and create a blast of steam as the metal hits it, scattering your metal out of the mold onto the table. In a vertical mold this can blow the metal all over the place, including your head. So get the mold about 300 to 400 degrees F. You can coat the mold with soot from the flame for a smoother ingot surface.

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Keep a candle stub handy. Rub some paraffin on the mold. When it smokes the mold is hot enough.

Do make sure that you heat the mold from all directions.

The base tends to stay cooler unless you pay attention, which is why ingots can come out with a rounded bottom.

Brian

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I start at the base , and push the moisture up the mold.
I also go crucible side opposite side crucible to melt.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to everyone for the help! Thanks Mike for the link, very informative indeed. I must be doing something wrong or missing somethig. I go to Sam's site for information all the time but never saw your really nice photo series. So this leads me to belive I must be missing part of it(the site) somehow, if you can shed some light on this I would appreciate it very much.I will look at the site myself and try to find out where I an going wrong, but a bit of direction would be nice.

scott99 Thanks again

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
I went to Sam's information site and poked around and found the small I GRAVER button and it took me to the site given me by Mike Cirelli. SO I found what I have been missing. Again thankyou all for all your help.

Thanks again scott99

Latest posts

Sponsors