Restoring hand Engraving on Antique Walthom Pocket Watches

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
I have been working with a collector of Walthom Pocket Watches and have been tasked with the job of restoring the designs on a number of his watches. This has been a really fun project and allot of research on designs. I thought you would like to see some of the watches I have finished

Attachments

• Waltham Watch Train 1.jpg
    Waltham Watch Train 1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Waltham Watch Eagle 1.jpg
    Waltham Watch Eagle 1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Waltham Watch Flower 1.jpg
    Waltham Watch Flower 1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 177

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bruce
As to the Designs Some are original such as the train scene on the watch I am showing. I got this watch and the only thing left of the original engraving was the gold inlays so I had to find a train scene that matched that shape. Though none of the example I have matched exactly so I had to improvise and this is what the customer wants. The Flower design was mostly rubbed out and I recut all the lines and filled in where there were no ones left and the Eagle was not original but it was on another watch he had and he requested that I match the design from the one watch and engrave it on the one I am showing. I had to do quite allot of study of the original as there is allot going on that the naked eye can't see such as the feathers and how they were cut. The hardest part to engraving these is to get out of my customer exactly what he wants and make it look like it was cut during the 1800's Not so much as it looked like I did the engraving by hammer and chisel but the way the cuts were done ( not real heavy handed and not allot of heavy sculpting ). My next three watches will be real interesting I will post them as I finish them.

Latest posts

Sponsors