Restoration of Winchester Model 1873

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here are some before and after pictures of a Winchester Model 1873 my assistant and I worked on for a customer. This new service is available.
JJ

Attachments

• winchester.1873.before.after.jpg
    winchester.1873.before.after.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 208
  • winchester.1873.before.after2.jpg
    winchester.1873.before.after2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 205
  • winchester.1873.before.after3.jpg
    winchester.1873.before.after3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 207

JJ Roberts

Tim,This Winchester was badly pitted,we started draw filing,stoning with different grits,wet & dry paper starting with 180,220,320 and finishing with 400 grit.Also filed & polish screw heads. J.J.

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I could afford a laser welder, I'd go in business repairing deep pits in peoples guns. I have a few in a first gen Colt that I don't really want to file out considering where they are and they're the perfect candidate for some soft iron wire and a laser welder...

JJ Roberts

Tim,A student of mine who lives in town and works on motorcycles purchased a tig welder from Eastwood the company that sell auto body supplys for $600.00,think I'll go over to his shop with an old pitted gun part and do some experimenting. J.J.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim, I wished you live a little closer, I have a Miller Diversion 180 110/220 brand new sitting in the shed I would loan you for your restoration project. Bought it a year ago and have not used it. They did 3 Demo welds to show me. That's all it has done. Fred

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ, you can do some fine welding with a good Tig welder, just get a high frequency starter and foot pedal for fine control. I used to make stainless steel belt buckles while on down time at work and you can get some very fine beads with it. There should be no problem with iron or steel.

Bill

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ,

You have a lot of patience and result is amazing, thanks

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ

Nice job, any special techniques for sanding? Holding fixtures for your sand paper?

Carlos De La O III

mrthe

Beautiful job JJ !!! I like very much the Winchester i hope some day can engrave one but here is not easy and i think will not probable,thank you for share!

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I could afford a laser welder, I'd go in business repairing deep pits in peoples guns. I have a few in a first gen Colt that I don't really want to file out considering where they are and they're the perfect candidate for some soft iron wire and a laser welder...

Tim. I do this kind of job. You can send me the gun or parts and I fix like they were never there.

oakleave

JJ, that very impressive the bevore and after photos. Can you also grind/polish other surfaces e.g on old knives?

JJ Roberts

Thank's everyone for your kind words,I like to mention I have a friend who is a former Tiffany engraver and can duplicate any lettering on for any firearm. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors