Rescue of Angelica

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here is one I finished up recently. This was a collaboration piece with Tom Overeynder. This was a fun project to do, Tom give me all the artistic license I needed and this is what we ended up with. The theme is "The rescue of Angelica" It is taken from the Italian poem Orlando Furioso. This is the part where Ruggerio the african knight must rescue Angelica from the monster. However I did have to adlib just a bit. Due to the ever present size constraints of knives, I had to change out the large sea monster, for a demon. Also adding wings to the demon allowed for the arial battle scene. If you would like to see a more traditional portrayal Google Gustave Dore's Rescue of Angelica. The inlays are yellow and red gold and the handle of the knife is 3 1/2". Thanks for taking a look. Brian

[/IMG]

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, your scroll's are killer, very unique. I would have to add that the seens seem a bit chaotic but the engraving is fantastic. Thanks for showing...

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Brian, this is as good as it gets. Your art work and construction of your sceen as well as execution are 1st class.

Keep on

Ed

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sakes alive...what a show stopper! I especially like the scrollwork. :thumbs up:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
EXCEPTIONAL Brian. I like everything about it. The scroll makes me think of angels wings, the grotesque horned demon is excellent, and "Angelica" is a beauty!

Tom Overeynder makes exceptional knives.

Pleasure seeing it.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys, for the positive feedback. This is the first of a pair of knives that Tom made, the next knife is of the same style, but has a bit of a different shape to the bottom end, and will be a continuation of theme and depict another event in the Orlando Furioso poem.

jetta77, not sure if the scenes being chaotic is good or bad, but, I do dislike static poses, I like to have the characters to look in motion, as well as I like to have the scenes complex enough that you will notice something new each time you look it over. Especially, being some of my work will be in one collection for an extended amount of time, I would hate think the owner would become bored with the work.

Sam, glad you like it, what can I say, I had a good teacher. :beat up:

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, maybe chaotic was'nt such a good word... Motion, would be a better term, and I love all the detail that's gone into your engraving. The more I look at the knife the more I like and respect it...

Latest posts

Sponsors