Request Help on Metals

cropduster

Elite Cafe Member
Hello to All,
I am considering building a muzzle loading firearm and would like to engrave some of the stock’s hardware. I can purchase the hardware in the following metals:
1-Wax cast steel;
2-Wax cast brass;
3-Sand cast steel;
4-Sand cast brass;
5-Wax cast nickel silver;
6-Iron;
Unfortunately, I have never used any of these materials and have no experience with castings. Currently, no other material data is available which brings about my questions:
A-From best to worst, how would you rank the engraveability of the above metals?
B-Can wax or sand cast steel accept standard gun blue as a finish?
C-What graver materials and/or geometries would be suggested?
D-Any other thoughts and/or suggestions that come to mind regarding these materials?
Many thanks for looking over this post. Any/all advice would be sincerely appreciated.
Sincerely – Cropduster

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Another place you might look for answers is http://www.americanlongrifles.org Many of the guns there have engraving on the lock, patch box, barrel and buttplate. If you are using off the shelf components I bet someone there has cut on it.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cropduster,
I build and engrave flintlocks and I can tell you that all of these are easily worked. The only parts that sometimes cause problems are sand cast brass parts. Occasionally you will find voids or bubbles in the casting that don't show up until you are working with the part. I've cut just about any of the parts you are likely to purchase from dealers. I love cutting iron mounted guns. Iron or mild steel is like butter compared to some of the modern parts I've done.
Good luck with the build. And if you have never done it before, read as much as you can before you start. Any parts kits you might purchase require extensive metalworking and woodworking skill to complete. Even though much of the wood has been shaped, locks and all metal parts must be hand inlet. If you don't have one already, purchase a good book such as "Building the American Flintlock Rifle" by Herschel House. There are other good ones out there.
Layne Z.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the sand castings will often contain pits and might even contain contaminates. i'd shy away from the sand stuff.

Latest posts

Sponsors