request for critique-hobo nickels

DeChristo

Hi
My name is Chris and am new to the forum. After a long time of collecting hobo nickels and adding some wonderful coins and not so wonderful coins to my collection, I decided to give it a go myself. The great ones inspired me and the not so great ones gave me the idea that "hey, I could do this".

Anyway, after scratching up a few nickels with home improvised mini screwdrivers and exacto knives as such, I got my hands on an actual pair of gravers and came up with these 3 coins. My very first hobo nickels. Have no previous experience with any of this. Now I know the first one is VERY rough, but just asking what this general community thought of my second and third coins in light of they being first attempts with no previous experience in this area? They are displayed in order of carving. Sorry but they are iPhone pics.

I just bought a standard block and airgraver on this site and am anxiously awaiting their delivery, which will hopefully help improve on my future offerings. Am in the market for a power hone, and GRS dual angle fixture for sharpening, though. After that a Foredom rotary setup and microscope (optivisor is ok for now) Thanks, Chris

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
on the third one-- an unwritten rule-- do not disturb the rim or the date.

DeChristo

Thanks Monk for the heads up on date and rim. That coin was originally a very worn no date that had no rim...you could barely make out the word "liberty". Figured I better practice on some low grade Buffalos and pocket change first. But a wise and respected carving friend told me that no matter what level your carving skills, in the end, they are ALL practice coins! Thanks for responding. Chris

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I too like the middle one. Wish my customers thought all their guns are practice pieces. LOL.

Latest posts

Sponsors