Request Design Critique

I started out confused, then got depressed but now I am thrilled so many people bothered to actually look at the design and offer advice. The quality of engravers who critiqued is incredible. I am very flattered as I know you are all very busy people. Occasionally I must admit my ideas sometimes do not turn out as well as I had intended. I truly did want your criticism. The best suggestions were the most specific ones. Guns are big and their shapes are complicated. I am going to reflect and study over the materials you suggested so I can come up with a better design.
Which brings me to the final question- how long before I bother you all again? I realize this is an imposition and sincerely appreciate your time and attention. You see this guy has this Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum Hunter he wants a little oakleaf and a deer .....:yes

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Theresa, there's no time limit! LOL... You could be like Arnaud who takes every critique on board, goes away, and works the same design or something else up on the same day or it might take you slightly longer. It's totally dependent on you and your schedule. But first and foremost I'd say get cutting some practice plates in the style you wish to go with and let us see them.

It's great you have someone lined up with a couple of projects to get you started. If he understands engraving, what's involved, and that these are some of your first 'real world' projects (and isn't going to take you for a ride) you may have found a potential patron or life long client. When I was an apprentice Paul Roberts of J. Roberts & Son Ltd. (and former owner of J. Rigby & Co.) gave me my first break in engraving guns. He knew the job wasn't going to be absolutely perfect or up to Master standard but he also knew that by encouraging me and letting me work on the cheaper end stuff a) he was getting a good deal and b) he was fostering a life long friendship and business relationship. I hope you find this with your client; at the very least he/she will show their friends and hopefully they'll come to you when they need anything engraving. But do make certain that you start with a firm foundation and are confident when you start these projects.

After reading through the thread http://www.igraver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4179&highlight=scrolls+touch&page=9 I realized you might hang around and comment until I can make this right. I did break down and order the book "American Engravers" and am reading the "Advanced Scrolls" by Ron once again. I would rather stick with one thing and get it right.
I thought the 1911 would be reasonably simple, but does have a few issues to plan around. I cropped the original to work on both sides only. Wrap around designs would be fun, but you are right- I am not ready for that yet. I was comparing to the Browning Renaissance- entirely to ambitious for a beginner. Even though I cut the number of scrolls in half, it is far to confusing. It's ok to chuckle about that- I can't hear you anyway.
The mirroring thing is a good point- the way our minds process info by comparison.
I also used the templates for my scrolls, but believe that has become a bad crutch. I will be drawing scrolls freehand which means they will probably start out lumpy. Please do point it out until I get things right. If you can keep backing me up a step until we find one I can handle, I would be glad to start from where ever you decide I am ready to begin. I don't have a time line but will dedicate as much time as I am able. First I will think about this for a while to try to come up with something respectable. I know it will still be flawed and need corrections. Where else can I learn from a group that includes some the best engravers in the world?
I am downloading copies of both sides of the slide outline along with a scan of the actual slide. Unfortunately, the area behind the grips also has a Caspian mark.
Perhaps there are others who would like to work along with us to improve their design technique. After they see me stumble through, other beginners may have more hope for their own efforts.
I would like to strive for the cleanest and simplest design to begin. After getting a clean scroll design, can't I change the style of leaves to change the design?
Rotated Caspian slide right.jpg Rotated Caspian slide left.jpg Rotated Caspian scan port side.jpg
I dreamed I was a scroll growing out of the ground when first reading Ron's books. With your help, I hope to see this in the designs.
Engravers are always looking for ways to better handle challenges. One of the things that still amazes and attracts me to engraving is that the most talented and gifted are often the most generous.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When you get American Engravers, look at the 1911 that Marty Rabeno has in there. As I recall it is simple classic scroll. It's downstairs and I am heading out the door in a few minutes.

Latest posts

Sponsors