RENO Hand Stamped Constable Star

sandmanbrian

There is a post asking about handmade badges, and I didn't want to hijack the thread. So I posted a badge that was made circa 1870's to 1900 in Nevada. Afterwards they standardized the badge design. Originaly it was up to each Constable to have their own badge made. This particular make is a silver base with hand stamped lettering and dingbats. I am unsure wheather the Star shape was handcut?

Brian ....................................

Attachments

• RENO A 13.jpg
    RENO A 13.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 240

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can see the punch bounce ghost image I referred to in the other thread at the E in RENO.

I have made a few badges but tend to hand letter because I don't have the necessary letter stamps. I have a small stamp with my initials intertwined to mark some of my work. When I use it, the way I prevent the ghost image is to put a small piece of masking tape where I will strike the punch. The punch will cut through the tape but if it bounces the tape will prevent it from making the ghost image. I don't think this technique will work with some of the large letter stamps used on badges because they would have to displace too much tape.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the stamped design is mindful of the stamps used by those working with leather and some of the sterling work done by native americans.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was wondering why this star badge has 6 points and in the other tread the star badge has only 5?

The one in this tread looks like a "star of David" but aren't they all sort of "sheriff badges"?

arnaud

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was wondering why this star badge has 6 points and in the other tread the star badge has only 5?

The one in this tread looks like a "star of David" but aren't they all sort of "sheriff badges"?

Arnaud,

I don't think there is any set number of points that has to be on a sheriff's badge. When I was a Special Deputy for Pembina County, North Dakota back in the early 80's my badge was gold and had 7 points on the star. But, the shoulder patch on the uniform only has 5! :)

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
There is a post asking about handmade badges, and I didn't want to hijack the thread. So I posted a badge that was made circa 1870's to 1900 in Nevada. Afterwards they standardized the badge design. Originaly it was up to each Constable to have their own badge made. This particular make is a silver base with hand stamped lettering and dingbats. I am unsure wheather the Star shape was handcut?

Brian ....................................

I like that, Brian. What a nice piece. Is there any way you can post a pic of the back? I'd like to see the work marks and hallmark, if it's possible.

The six point design seems very balanced to me and offers a nice horizontal layout of the lettering, with a wide center.

Is this a family heirloom or from your collection?
scottd.

sandmanbrian

From my small collection. Although I have tracked down a few descedents of the original settlers and obtained thier family badge. The back doesn't have a hallmark or any other identifying data. There is a slight curve to it and no work marks. Unless they were buffed off?

Brian ..............................

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, thanks explaining this, still doesn't make sense to me but sure I believe you on your word that the number of points on a sheriff badge don't matter.
To illustrate and sure the Jewish people don't mind, but this doesn't look like a sheriff badge to me. So is the one with 6 points that had my attention.

arnaud

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,

In the US there is no set protocol for law enforcement badges. Because of old Western movies we have an idea that all sheriffs wore star shaped badges because that was the style of prop badges available at the costume house. In reality, many sheriffs and town marshals used various shield shaped badges in the 19th century. In the 20th century and later it has become common for sheriffs to wear a star shaped badge but there is no uniformity to this.

In my law enforcement days I wore a shield when I was in the US Air Force Air Police, a six pointed star as a deputy on the Los Angeles County sheriffs department, a seven pointed star on the Santa Barbara County sheriff's department, and a five pointed star on the Hamilton county sheriff's department. In Ohio, all sheriffs and their deputies wear exactly the same uniform and badge in all 88 counties. When I worked in California there was no such uniformity among the counties. Also some city police in the US wear stars such as San Fransisco (7 point) and Chicago (5 point).

This must seem very confusing to someone who lives in Europe where the police fall under the national government and all dress alike. I am not too familiar with police organization in Belgium but for instance, in Italy there is the polizia municipale, the Carabinieri, and the Guardia di Finanza. That's it. In the US there are hundreds of independant city, county, state, and federal law enforcement agencies. That is what makes collecting police insignia so interesting. I have a collection of over 200 uniform sleeve patches and it represents only a tiny fraction of what is available in the US.

Latest posts

Sponsors