Refresh my transfer wax.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
My container of ALFONO TRANSFER WAX is about a year and a half old and it's gotten a little dry. Is there a way to refresh or soften it some ?
By the way, when I first got this, my first, the odor was quite strong and not very pleasant. As I've used it, it's now come to when I smell it a genuine sense of joy or excitement comes over me. Like when you smell an odor and it brings back a wonderful memory. I guess that smell is the first beginning of a new project and the anticipation of the journey ahead.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
remember, if you fiddle with this very much, your hair will fall out. anyway, gently heat the stuff. add a couple drops of olive or vegetable oil. if you're not a vegetarian, beef tallow will do the trick. don't overheat, or the problem may worsen.
sams' balding wax (at least mine) is in a metal container. not good to use a microwave.
btw: sams' wax is hard to begin with. maybe a temperature thing where you keep it.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ALFONO TRANSFER WAX

uh, oh. i think the problem is you bought the Chinese knock-off product we're always warning folks about. next time buy the ALFANO Transfer Wax. then again, if "the odor was quite strong and not very pleasant.", that sure sounds like the real Sam...

:beatup:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
SamW kelleys Heroes was the blown up outhouse Not quite as intense as chicken but close I truly was talking about real people when i moved out of the Bronx to upstate NY now that i think of it.. we slways sae more deer while hunting after helping my best friend clean up the barn after milking his cows Hhmm,mmm

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"the smell of an old chicken coup because it reminded them of home"...shades of Kelly's Heroes

"Wheeeew! You boys smell like you fell in a dung heap!"
"And it makes you homesick, doesn't it?"
"Yeah, it kinda does, old buddy..."

i love that movie.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, '' Speeedy6'' with an extra ''e'' is just an internet handle I use frequently. It started when my son had it when he was 6 years old and I just sort of took it over.
Thanks to everyone who commented. I'll try that reheat trick.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I smell a lot worse than my transfer wax. It does contain mutton tallow so it's going to have a hint of sheep aroma. I've never heard of it drying out though. Maybe put the can on your stove burner and melt it.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Gotta be in an airtight container. Probably what you have is oxidation. Didja leave the lid off for a long time?

No way that I know of to remedy that - if it doesn't go away just by being warmed and re-solidifying?

Lard/tallow can eventually go rancid... I've always kept my backup stock transfer wax in the freezer.

The stuff in use at the moment stays in the fridge 'till I need it...

Usually change ALL of it out every 2 years. Or is it every leap year? Probably when it looks "funny". Can't remember it ever getting stinky?

http://blog.grasslandbeef.com/bid/80624/Tallow-Rendering-Uses-and-Storage

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2012/02/how-to-render-beef-tallow.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallow

B.

Ummm... some years back animals got into it in the summertime. Probably best to dispose of it where they can't do that.

Transfer "wax" is not usually a vegan or vegetarian recipe... though it does have wax components.

Last edited:

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I tried Monks suggestion and slowly warmed it on the warming eye of the stove. I stirred in about 6 drops of canola oil. It worked great and even made the bits of black paint or gunk from a dirty finger sink to the bottom. It looks like fresh can now and is nice and slippery looking.
Thanks for the help, Mark

Latest posts

Sponsors