Recent work

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All, I recently got back from my GRS training course in Emoria Kansas with Diane Scalese-It's not possible to say enough of how great it was, how much I learned, and how exciting it is to be around other engravers of all skill levels. Like in this forum, the networking there especially in person, was extremely valuable-I cant recommend it enough! Self taught got me started, proper instruction got me there and NOW the sky's the limit!
I even learned about hole saws, so that's how you cut a perfect circle :) Here's a "test" piece I made, a 2" inside diameter ring, and a scarf silde from steel and silver (ring from steel and nickel). Finally I'm learning to draw and freehand my work and not be overly dependent on PhotoShop and transfer techniques. I'm very happy with the results and what they represent to me, an increased zest for engraving and potential galore. Just thought I'd step up and introduce some of my recent work and once again say thanks to all in the group for their tips and support-it's pricless!
Paul
PS: If anybody wants to know how to make those domed flat edge conchos, it's real easy and I'll post how. Thanks to Diane and her generous information now I can make them-and I thought they had to be bought-Ha!

Attachments

• Leaf-circle.jpg
    Leaf-circle.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Klapper-Scarf-Slide.jpg
    Klapper-Scarf-Slide.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 250

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Congratulations on your class with Diane Scalese. She's an excellent engraver and one of the best brightcutters I've ever seen, not to mention a heck of a lot of fun to be around. One day Abigail and I hope to take her class.

I like what you've done here...keep up the great work! / Sam

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam, your words are like gold to me :) I learned about the power hone from your web-site and got one and found out all the rest about the GRS training and Diane-I waited a year for that class and it was like a dream to attend :) Diane is a super talent and extremely generous with every scrap of her knowledge, the inspiration and skills I learned are limitless! Now I have a lifetime of untapped potential fully revved up and rearing to go. Thanks again for evreything too, you also have been very influential on my career and positive outlook in so many ways. This web-site, it's forums and members are the best!!!
Paul

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Is the ring for hobbles and is it polished steel or silver overlay? Good job--and please post the tutorial on making conchoes.
Hi Chas, the ring could be for hobbles, tie strings, and a ton of other uses. I made it from steel using hole saws to cut it out-I believe it's about 1/8" thick steel but I'll have to measure that (I get my metal from the scrap yard and what looks right I buy-cheap too!) It's steel with a nickel overlay, it was a first one and test of sorts-besides, I'd need to buy larger silver sheet for that and I was chomping at the bit to make it straight away :) Silver would be far easier to engrave, the nickle is a real bear on the gravers and bright cuts are almost out-hence the good ol' Sam 120 graver going at it :)
I'll post pics of my flat edge conho tool Diane told me how to make. I will be making a larger one tomorrow and will document with pics my method of making the tool and how it's used-it's just the greatest "trick" with superb results.
Paul

jbmartin

Paul,
Saw your creations on Ebay, great job!
One thing I would suggest is the nickel overlay on steel on conchos is not really necessary.
You can buy the thick gauge nickel as closely to the same price as steel that you shouldn't have to solder on the nickel, it will save you one step plus finishing. One thing about working on the nickel is that is makes you appreciate sterling that much more!! The only thing is you have to overlay that unless you bought it 3 years ago! :)

Once again, great work!

JB

Latest posts

Sponsors