recent work

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amazing work as always Alain. It was good to see you and Phillippe in Vegas last month.

Like Andrew said you removed a lot of metal from the background. Did you chisel it out or use acid to etch it out?

Marty

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Fantastic work, Alain. The combination of your artistry and and masterful engraving put you at the top of our craft. Your engraving is unmistakably yours, with flawless precision and beauty that is unsurpassed. Thank you for sharing this with us!

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Alain your work just blows me away, such a unique style.... just awesome thanks for posting your work...

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Allen
I see where the raised areas you have gold inlay then deep releaved the scenes. I was blown away with the amount of work that must have been. I hope the owner realizes the effort.
Rod

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for your kind comments.

It was a big work indeed, longer than expected.
However, I did not remove so much metal :
the depth of the scenes in low relief is around 0.6 mm and the backgrounds of the ornamentations is from 0.4 to 05 mm. This is not deeper than a normal engraving but as the shotgun is very small it is possible that the effect is more accentuated .
I never use acid to engrave, I am not confident in this process because I am not familiar with it. All this was cut with the engraver's tools such as hammer and chisel, various gravers, pneumatic tools, rotary tools, chasing tools , rifflers,*scrapers, burnishers, etc...

The main difficulties were with the floor plate, it has been uneasy to get the result which I wanted.This was due to the composition of the scene. It was difficult to suggest the distance between the scene of the foreground, the horse rider and the mountains in the background on this thin plate (not more than 0.8 mm thickness at some places).

Martin, I would also like to see the result after blackening the barrels. I'll ask but I am not sure that the factory will make photos.

Best, Alain

Latest posts

Sponsors