Ready to try some metal?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you surely need drawing practice. you should start with basic spine to get that improved a bit. that's not to say you should avoid cutting practice.

Davetherave1986

you surely need drawing practice. you should start with basic spine to get that improved a bit. that's not to say you should avoid cutting practice.
Thanks for feedback. Booked a class with JJ Roberts and looking forward to it. Have a nice turkey day

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
You are trying hard with your drawing. Thank you for sharing.
In the second picture the "Heads" of the internal elements have some problems.
This will show up in either drawing or cutting..

At some point you have to start some cutting practice.
Try to "see" and correct these problems before you cut them into the metal.
You may make a few practice plate mistakes,
But Learn From Them !!
We have all been there !

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Definitely cut and get some practice in. Your drawing is better than mine when I first started. Some of that will connect itself with time, but eventually get good at drawing on metal. Keep going =)

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
I found when I started to cut metal I picked up on the engraving very quickly but drawing a good design was a huge struggle. I would still practice both but focus more on drawing. A perfect design cut with little skill will almost always look better than a bad design cut with master skill.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
some tips

Turn the paper over and over and over and over while drawing and your scrolls will be better shaped. Most people's vision shows a circle as being slightly oval either heightways or sideway, that and you're looking at your work from an angle most of the time... for many reasons, turning your paper gives better results.

Refine your drawing on the metal til it looks perfect, then cut it.

Try some pretty simple designs first then go a little more complex in leaf shape, a little more shading lines, a little more work on your backgrounding... a little harder every time.

Make it fun. Throw in a squirrel or a stick man or whatever, enjoy the practice.

Latest posts

Sponsors