Ray Hood Final Engraved Plate After 6 Year Hand Engraving Apprenticeship

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work and congratulations to Ray on finishing his apprenticeship.

The only thing that leaps out at me is the "Ex Libris". This means it is a book plate in which case the whole thing needed to be cut in reverse so it can be printed from. If the motto had been left out then it'd be excellent and I am being extremely pedantic but it's a bit like seeing a movie where a Roman soldier has a wrist watch on, lol. That aside this plate is probably just meant to show his engraving skills of which there are plenty here and he can be rightly proud of that piece of work. I hope he goes on to make a very successful career in hand engraving; he deserves to.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congratulations to Ray. I remember The day I finished my Joiner apprenticeship after a four year stint. I recall that I thought I was done with learning new skills, Wrong-Fred

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now, go get the book on Heraldry and you will be able to discern colors by the direction of the graven lines. Way cool!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The only thing that leaps out at me is the "Ex Libris". This means it is a book plate
Markus, is it not possible that the Ex Libris is part of the whole motto rather than a stand-alone phrase?
"ex libris in te spero domine" Literally, "From the books, I trust in You, Lord" but perhaps a more idiomatic translation.

Andrew Biggs

Stunning work and very nice to see apprenticeships in engraving are still going in some parts of the world.

The art of heraldry is a skill and art all by itself.

Cheers
Andrew

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
instead of the lettering being reversed, perhaps the impression could be embossed from the back of the page? ;-) more details, please! dimensions? steel or zinc?

oh, and btw, Ray- Fantastic job!

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Markus, is it not possible that the Ex Libris is part of the whole motto rather than a stand-alone phrase?
"ex libris in te spero domine" Literally, "From the books, I trust in You, Lord" but perhaps a more idiomatic translation.

I just looked up the family motto and it's "In Te Domine Spero (I trust in you, o Lord)"
http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/index661.htm

As far as I'm aware, bookplates normally have the words "Ex Libris" to indicate who's library the book is from or who owns it. Like I said, if this wonderful piece were to be printed from it would have to be cut in reverse but if it's just a demonstration of his engraver's skills that doesn't matter at all but, in my opinion (and it is only my opinion) it would be better without the Ex Libris banner as it doesn't add anything to the overall design in this particular case. But that still doesn't detract from the fact that this is a super piece of heraldic engraving.

"

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

I just looked up the family motto and it's "In Te Domine Spero (I trust in you, o Lord)"
http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/index661.htm

As far as I'm aware, bookplates normally have the words "Ex Libris" to indicate who's library the book is from or who owns it. Like I said, if this wonderful piece were to be printed from it would have to be cut in reverse but if it's just a demonstration of his engraver's skills that doesn't matter at all but, in my opinion (and it is only my opinion) it would be better without the Ex Libris banner as it doesn't add anything to the overall design in this particular case. But that still doesn't detract from the fact that this is a super piece of heraldic engraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors