Raised Gold Genovese

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here is one that went out the door this morning, it is headed to the Chicago show. I have been trying out new techniques to increase my bag o' tricks, and also to get more diversity in the work I am doing. My work is predominately arabesque scroll and bulino work, which I do prefer, but a change up is nice after a while. So, on this piece I decided to go with some raised gold. Which I have never done before, and which I found is not easy. One problem among many others, is finding your edges,even when you have lines to follow, it is like finding the light switch in the dark, you know it is there somewhere, but you are not sure exactly where. Steve Lindsay had done a few off these and I always wanted to give it a try. It was not long into it that I gained more appreciation for his ability. I have done some complex work, but this by far was the most difficult engraving I have done yet. Even though it looks deceptively straight forward.

Being it was my first go at it, and I don't waste gold or time on many practice plates, I did this on a spec knife, a 2 3/4" Genovese. So just in case my best laid plans went south, it would not be on somebody's prized possession. As with any new technique, I got better as I went, and although I am pleased with this first try, the next one I know will go much smoother and cleaner. There should be fewer tools going airborne, anyway.:) Thanks for looking. Brian

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

It is always a treat to open your posts, and reading that the knife is your first try at raised gold, well, clearly you are advancing your art wearing 'seven league boots'!

Great work!

Rod

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
John, the large areas are done in 20ga sheet and the stems and small areas are done in 18ga wire. Being the gold would be raised and more subject to scratches and dings, I used 22k. Originally I was going to use 18k being it has a Vickers hardness of 155, so I figured it would cut cleaner and be more durable. However actually getting it inlaid was a problem, it was to hard and would not spread under my undercuts without losing all my height. So I compromised and went with 22k which is only Vickers 60, but still twice as hard as 24k. Even though I know the knife will be handled like a fresh egg, they still somehow pick up scratches.

Marcus, the knife had a bright stainless Steel finish, which I stippled and then painted black with rustoleum flat black paint.

Rod, I always like how you phrase things, but this time you are over my head. What are seven league boots?

Scott, confidence is never a problem, we all, including yourself I would bet, think we are the best. Even though we know there is no such thing as the "best", but to do the work we do, that is the attitude you must have from the start. If one lacks in this they will never achieve their full potential. Oh, and laying out a solid plan and a plan B and C, helps in the confidence department.

Thanks all for the compliments and for taking a look. Brian

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it was really cool what silverchip said ! my thoughts exactly, an eyefull of joy !

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

"Jack the Giant Killer "( old British folk tale) got a hold of a pair. A league is 3 miles, so one stride took him 21 miles ... ergo.... you are bounding ahead in your work, and inspiring us all !

Rod

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
John, the large areas are done in 20ga sheet and the stems and small areas are done in 18ga wire. Being the gold would be raised and more subject to scratches and dings, I used 22k. Originally I was going to use 18k being it has a Vickers hardness of 155, so I figured it would cut cleaner and be more durable. However actually getting it inlaid was a problem, it was to hard and would not spread under my undercuts without losing all my height. So I compromised and went with 22k which is only Vickers 60, but still twice as hard as 24k. Even though I know the knife will be handled like a fresh egg, they still somehow pick up scratches.
Brian

Brian,
Thanks for answering my wire/sheet question
I think your choice of 22K gold for this job was very wise.
Beautiful piece of work, thank you for sharing it.

Latest posts

Sponsors